Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sun n Fun

Default Re: Sun n Fun

Looking @ the map it seems that the camping for gen av aircraft is a very small area.

Pete
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I go almost every year and camp in the light plane area - formerly Paradise City, I do it on the cheap, bring my own groceries.
    Lots of good fun fellowship to be had, of course I drive in rather than fly.

the map is deceiving; the aircraft camping area is actually quite large, especially the west end by runway 9. i don't think anyone has ever been turned away. ken

Just wondering....

Does anyone know if there is a place to rent lockers at SNF? I'm planning to buy some stuff while there and don't want to cart a heavy starter or alternator around all day.

Thanks,

Tommy Walker
    Anniston, AL

What qualifies as a "light plane" and how do you get to be assigned there?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

If someone with experience wants to recommend a camping area I would happily set up with other KFers.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hey Pete,

We qualify as "light plane", it is actually the ultralight, trike and sportplane area, you don't have to be assigned, just fly to the ultralight grass strip and use their procedures.
    It is on the south side of Lakeland and you'll want to approach from there to avoid the busy air traffic on the the north side.

Always see at least a few Kitfoxes and Avids there, in addition to Kolb etc, in fact Skystar was using this side of the show to feature their acft everyday before they went belly up.
    This is where all the action used to be as far as light experimentals go, turnout has really gotten dismal in the past few years, plenty of room there even when its was hopping busy.

Tent camping there and showers just for this area as well, look for a gray Honda van w' a large rooftop cargo box, TX plates, usually parked next to a converted Greyhound bus.

Tommy, if you need a place to store some stuff during the show, you can lock it up in my cargo box on the roof of my van or in the van itself, I'll be there for the duration of the show, will have Shiner Bock and Bud light to share as well!

John Butcher

John,
    How long is that grass strip? looks about 800 ft?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I will definitely make it down to the light plane area. Would love to meet some of you guys. Thanks for the offer. Will see what we can scarf from some of the vendors/traders.

Tommy

Having watched flight opps there last year, I would say there is plenty of room for a Kitfox at the UL area at Sun 'n Fun. (Even one of those heavy SS planes... ) There were several operating when I was watching.

The UL strip at Oshkosh is 1200' with trees at the north end. Flying in and out of there is challenging, but fun. The UL area in Lakeland is mostly open at both ends so a lower/shallower final approach is possible.

If I ever go back to S 'n F I'd definitely consider flying into that area...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos