Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking Antifreeze

Default Re: Leaking Antifreeze

Thanks for the clear explaination.....

After further inspection and tasting more than my preferred amount of radiator fluid while tryint to draw from the overflow bottle, I see that the downtube inside my overflow bottle has a pinhole leak where it was glued inside the cap. Anyone have any suggestions on what glue to use there that won't melt in those conditions?

I also think it is important that you have no air in the spider as this should minimize expansion problems. My overflow tank is about 3/4 full and appears happy that way.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I'd try E-6000 or PFM. Clean well then dry and apply.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

As opposed to buying anything new (I'm many miles from town), I have silicone and JBWeld on hand - any experience why either of these won't hold a plastic to plastic bond since the tube is NOT submerged in the DexCool coolant?

Reading this post really helped me understand the system. But, I have a leak. I found some trouble with the clamps so I am replacing all of them while the system is apart on my 80 horse 912. I also replaced the overflow bottle which cracked and spilled coolant all over my hot engine during climb out. There was a little puddle of coolant under the expansion tank so I took it off and see some wear (even though there is a rubber pad.) but not sure about a leak. Can I plug all the holes and heat it with a heat gun while its full of coolant? wouldn't that show a leak or crack or bad cap?

Wheels,

You are on the right track...the clasical way to find a leak is to "pressure test" somehow.....not sure how effective the heat gun technique may be.....how about this....if you have the spider tank out, empty it completely, take off the rubber protector so you can see the whole thing put the cap on, plug all the holes except one which you can stick a compressed air gun into and hold the whole business under water while applying pressure (in the range the cap is built for but less than the max so the cap can be tested too) air bubbles will show up where the tiniest leak is.

This works well for any component that can be submerged...radiator, tank, elbows, etc

One of the frustrating things with looking for coolant leaks is figuring out the difference between where a leak is and where it looks like it is as coolant has a tendency to drool & dry upstream leaving a wet spot downstream from where the actual leak is.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

Smile Re: Leaking Antifreeze

Thank you Dave.
    I think I have the technology for that. I'll plug the spider tank with rubber plugs and submerge it. I can feed it some regulated air without damage. Then if its ok, I'll be flying in the snow tomorrow.