Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us your panel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Show us your panel

Is there any reason other than esthetics to go with the black rocker switches as opposed to the stick toggles that come with the FF kit? I was surprised to see these supplied considering how many people end up with the black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    Is there any reason other than esthetics to go with the black rocker switches as opposed to the stick toggles that come with the FF kit? I was surprised to see these supplied considering how many people end up with the black ones.

Joe - I haven't come across the stick toggles you're referring to yet but if you're referring to the standard toggle type - I switched to black rocker due to the thought, right or wrong, of reducing head impact damage (HID) in the event of an accident. HID testing is something that has to be considered when certifying aircraft and what I learned in observing that process left a pretty strong impression.

Tell me more! I originally was thinking the flatter black rocker just because it looks a bit cleaner and was surprised the FF kit came with the standard metal toggles considering a lot of the factory planes have the black rockers.

Joe - I started with a lead I picked up on this forum and started by ordering one each of five or six different styles and shapes from one of several potential suppliers. The short version of the story is I learned that several suppliers call the same product their part but if you peel the onion just a bit you'll find that they all are from the same Chinese manufacturer AND at a wide variety of prices. Anyhow, I ended up with these: https://www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=47695.

You can find them elsewhere for north of $4.00 each.

You can wire them so the light is on or not - I measured the current draw for kicks and it was pretty close to nothing. (0.24 Amps if all 12 switches are on at the same time.)

I've attached the spec sheet as well as the Knuckel's writing that convinced me that with the low power stuff we have in our panels now-a-days, these switches should work just fine.

Panel switch bought from Waytek.pdf

Switch_Ratings Aero electric.pdf

Cheers,

Darrel

Ive been looking forward to making this post! Here is my panel! I actually used matte black Krylon for the paint at the suggestion of my EAA tech. It surprisingly turned out great and seems damn durable. Then I had the labels printed on with a UV cure ink at a local printer. Ill admit the writing isn't as sharp as I would like but you wouldn't notice until I mentioned it. Also you will noticed I mis judged the Vans glove box overlap and it cut off the Kitfox logo a bit. Even so Im happy with out it turned out for my first try HA! Everything powers up and works as advertised!

IMG_0714.jpgIMG_0715.jpgIMG_0716.jpgIMG_0717.jpg58932705252__D1626DB3-5E59-4309-A566-58FD86A608C8.jpg

Looks great! I used Rustoleum. The rattle cans nowadays can provide great results for minimal cost 👍
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Looks sweet! Looks like you used the same ELT. Unfortunately they crack. Someone pointed that out to me and after the first engine run, sure enough there is a crack down the seem. If yours does and you come up with a solution let me know.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Very nice Darrel. 👍 Nicely laid out. Always liked the GRT EIS.

Question. Whose 2 1/4” radio did you install in your panel. Zoomed in and thought maybe Micro Air or Becker but not sure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks DF4 - the radio is a Flightline 760A. It has been working great. (One probably shouldn't make that kind of statement on anything in a panel without the ol "knock-on-wood" motion though.)

I really like that. Nice work.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X