Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox S7 Questions

Default Kitfox S7 Questions

Does anyone have any pics of one in a single car garage? With myself being 6' and 290 lbs, would I fit? I'll probably have more questions later.

Default Re: Kitfox S7 Questions

I got pics of a IV in a garage (Europe style) if y'want?
    HL

You will need to measure your garage carefully to see if a SS7 will fit inside. The specs are listed on the Kitfox website but they don’t tell the full story. Most residential garages have 7 foot door height and are 22 feet deep.

First the height issues
    A tail dragger SS7 height is listed at 5’ 8”; but that is the airframe and does not include the prop. A three blade prop puts the height close to 7 feet. If you will store your airplane in a garage you should consider a two blade prop to clear the door and ceiling. A tricycle gear Kitfox tail is 8’ and will not clear a standard door without a little jockeying. You will have to push down on the tail to clear the door. Some owners use a dolly to raise the nose gear and lower the tail.

Next the length

The Kitfox SS7 is 22’ 7” long with the wings folded. It’s 13 inches longer than the Classic IV. So you might find it a bit tight in your standard garage. This is often the most limiting dimension.

Width

The SS7 is 8’ 0” wide with wings folded. Many single car garages have 8 foot doors so check this one carefully. Even 9 foot doors can be tight because the door casing reduces the width sometimes by 6 inches or more.

And now the pilot.

A 6 foot tall pilot will fit in a Kitfox about the same as you fit in a coach seat of an MD-80. Leg and head room is not a problem. However, at 290 lbs you might be a little more than cozy with a passenger at the hips and elbows.

You should be aware that getting into and out of a Kitfox is a bit like a yoga exercise or playing “Twister”. There are various techniques. I stick my head inside first, turn my back to the center of the cockpit and scoot my rear in the seat. Next I swing my legs inside then lift my right leg over the joy stick. I recommend you find a Kitfox near you to see if you are comfortable in the seat and if getting in and out is reasonable.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas

84KF

Not a "one" car....., but it's something. Just use the seam in the floor cement to get an idea of a single.

It rolls right in an out, no problem. Even with the type of door I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 84KF; 09-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Those are great pics, how wide is it folded up?

84KF

8 ft with the wings secured up tight, which the left one is not in the pictures.

Here's 2 more..., before and after, with the parachute cover.

A full size SUV will fit along side it. Tight, but the room is there.
    Last edited by 84KF; 09-10-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks all. I already picked out the paint scheme. I photoshopped the pic to make it a tail dragger and changed the black trim to red (same colors as one of my late grandfather's planes, I hope I can get his old tail number as it is avaliable). I'm excited I hope to have it some day. Gotta sell my 56 Chevy first and get my certificate

Last edited by WingingIt74; 09-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Nice photoshopping CLSSY56!

Steve,
    What gear is that? I love it. Mine is not that tall, but I wish it was.
    Kelly

84KF

Kelly,

I too asked that question here once...

This might help. http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ght=grove+gear
    Last edited by 84KF; 09-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.

I like the Photo Shop of my plane 703KA, It looks good as a Tail Dragger!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas