Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: weight and balance

Default weight and balance

I'm getting ready to conduct and calculate my weight and balance on my KF Model 4/1200, 618, Grove gear; can anyone give me an idea of "target" weight ranges for mains, tail wheel, and empty? My initial floor (not level), weight is 607lbs. Appreciate any feedback...

Lane

Default Re: weight and balance

Hi Lane, My IV-1200 / 912UL came in at 683 empty. Right Main = 322, Left Main = 317, TW = 44. Not sure what the weight difference is between the 618 and 912.

Lane there is a weight and balance program out there. I am sure that John would have this if you do not here about it from someone else that knows how to send it to you. You just put in the weight calculations that you get and the computer program will do the rest. This is what I used and I like it as you can just punch in different values and it will give you forward and aft figures. My model IV 912 came out at 662.28 and this was 313.30 Rt, 311.05L, and Tail was 37.93 Which put the moment at 12.01. Hope this helps. Bryan

Visit our web under the Tech FAQ link.. The weight & balance spreadsheets are there.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Lane,

I think that if you have the tail wheel weight you suspect - 60-70 lbs. you will have to do a bit of weight shifting. My first Model IV had mains at about 330 each and the tailwheel was about 45. I had to placard my baggage area at max 25 lbs. to comply with the W&B envelope.

Depending on total empty weight, I think you will need to be somewhere between 34 and 45 lbs. or so at the tail wheel.

I'm suprised at how heavy some of these weights seem to me for the Kitfox 4. I was hoping to keep mine at or under 600 lbs. I have a 912 engine, standard gear, regular instruments, 13 gal. wing tanks with the plastic header tank behind the seat, and no heavy aerothane paint and such. Will I be likley to go much over 600 lbs empty? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Good luck with that Jim! I have pretty much the same basic stuff except my bush gear is heavier than standard and I have larger,heavier tires. I don't think I would be able to eliminate 83 pounds. Even though I may be a bit heavy, the plane still flies great and has more than adequate performance.

Jim,

I think the Model IV that New Kid's dad had a bit ago weighed in at 604 lbs. I think it depends on how much you try to stick strictly to the plans and how much paint you put on it. My original Model IV had the aluminum spring gear, elevator trim, kick panels, carpet, etc. I think you see what I mean. Not much by itself but it all adds up. This time it will be on the heavy side as well, but no eye appeal stuff unless it reduces drag or has some aerodynamic benefit. New Kid's dad's new Model IV-1050 will be on the light side because that is his focus.

Lowell

My plane is 631# empty, CG weights are broken down as:

Right Main: 303
    Left Main: 297
    Tail Wheel: 31

It's a Model IV with a 912UL, taper tip Warp 3-blade, Poly-Fiber with Poly-Tone paint. Dec-'09 KOTM
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Did a weight and ballance on my Model 4-912 today and it came in at 615lbs. I am very happy that I was able to keep the weight down. It has a Speedster tail with electric trim, standard gear, header tank behind the seat and a baggage compartment. Basic 6 pack instruments, 6 and 13 gallon wing tanks and an Ivo in flight adjust.

Cain B