Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912uls Oil Temp

Default 912uls Oil Temp

I am new with the 912s and I am wondering about normal Oil Temps for a round cowl Kitfox. I bought the airplane in winter and as the days start egtting warmer I wonder what the oil temp should be. It isn't even very warm here in Washington.
    I was running 215 at about 65 degrees OAT; where will it end up at 95 degrees? My CHT seems to be running about the same. My only other experience with the 912 was in a CTLS; I remember that it ran CHT's at 201 no matter the weather (0 - 85 F). Do I need to be worried about thermostat issues?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Default Re: 912uls Oil Temp

I have the same setup. I think that is a little hot. I would get a hold of John and get a new oil cooler with the setup off the front. Get a oil thermostate while your at it from lockwood and forget about having to tape up in the winter time.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

i have the 912ul with oil cooler and thermostat . ive made up a sliding shutter for the cooler . mine was running to cool even in warm weather . with the shutter more than half closed and an oat of around 55 dgs the oil temp is running 195-205 . unfortunatly we havent had many 65 dg days suitable for flying to see how it operates in warmer weather
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Redline on oil temps in a 912 is over 250° degrees.

I do not have a cooler on my 4-1050 with a 912 and consistently run oil temps of 220-230°. Per the 912 experts at LEAF, this is not a problem and is actually preferred to cooler (160-180°) operating oil temps.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

N82HB (Kelly). My 912 S in my model 4 will run in the 195- 212 degree range here in Phoenix in the winter months. Daytime highs in the upper 60's to low 70's. In the desert heat of 100-110 degrees it's not uncommon to reach 235 degrees oil temp on my set up.
    I have 725 plus hours in these temp ranges with no problems, so far. One thing I've found on my 912S is if I run at higher rpms during cruise I get better cooling. I'm consistently cruising at 5350 to 5450 rpms.
    If I didn't my oil temps would be in the 238 + degree range on a hot summer day. Of course I run an oil cooler here in the desert but as of yet have not installed a scoop on my coolant radiator. That might get me a little margin to work with. Just haven't done it yet.
    Good luck. Enjoy the 912S. It's a wonderful and rugged engine

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thank you! I am already feeling better.
    The airplane has been flown around here for over 200 hours by the builder and he never mentioned anything. I bought it in late February and everyday the weather gets warmer and so does the oil. I was just afraid it might get to the red line prior to getting to our warmest days. I thenk I am running in the worst range for temp, 5200. I noticed if I pulled it back to 4950+/- that it would cool down, but maybe I should try the higher RPM. I do love this engine!!
    Thanks for all the help,
    Kelly

I already have 50 hours in the airplane in this very short time. I have started to enjoy flying again like I did before gas got so crazy. Cheap flying is my favorite.

5300 rpm fixed my issues. Now I'm running around 210 on the hot days.
    Thanks Steve; that was an easy fix.
    Kelly

Glad it worked for you too Kelly.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear