Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baggage Area

Default Baggage Area

Anyone have some decent photos of a completed baggage area before the fuselage is covered, in your Series 7/SuperSport. Have yet to see any close up photos to see how others have completed this area.

Thanks
    Danny
    SuperSport in Progress

Default Re: Baggage Area

Danny, here's some that were passed along to me, this is not my project...

email cargo bay.jpg

email cargo bay 1.jpg

email cargo bay 2.jpg
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Default Baggage floor inside or underneath?

I didn't receive any instructions with my Cargo Bay Kit, not sure if there are any. Question: is everyone putting their balsa/glass floors inside the bag and then putting floor rentention screws through? Is anyone screwing the board down first and letting the bag sit on top of it?

Seems like it might be a bit of trouble to get everything in & out first unless you could screw the floor down first. I'm assuming this whole thing comes out every year for the Condition Inspection.
    Randy Lervold

Randy,
    Thanks for the photos...is this the cloth compartment that Kitfox sells? I didn't purchase a cargo bay kit with my kit.

Not sure how I will proceed with mine. Would like something a little more solid, but don't want to add a lot of weight. I think this is an area left to our imagination. I also want the rear fuselage to be easliy accessible so however I proceed, I don't want to block off that area with something that I can't open up easily.

If you come up with any ideas, I sure would like to hear them.
    Thanks
    Danny Powell
    Super Sport

Yes, this is the 'Cargo Bay Kit' that they get $495 for. It's pretty light, I have no problem with that, and it looks like it would come out fairly easily, just lots of velcro to deal with.
    Randy Lervold

Oh, forgot to ask: anyone had a problem with the edges of the balsa/glass board delaminating? They look like they need to be sealed somehow. If I end up putting the board inside the bag I'll probably glue some Cordura to it and wrap it around the edges. Anyone done this?
    Randy Lervold

Not sure how I will proceed with mine. Would like something a little more solid, but don't want to add a lot of weight. I think this is an area left to our imagination. I also want the rear fuselage to be easliy accessible so however I proceed, I don't want to block off that area with something that I can't open up easily.

Danny,
    As I am working on a model IV I know our planes have a lot of differences, however, if you are looking for alternatives to buying the baggage kit...this might give you some ideas. www.azshowersolutions.com/Baggage1.html
    Many of us in the Phoenix area have built the sides of the baggage area with Poly Fiber material and then covered it with a presentable material. FWIW
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Dan, that mod looks great, very creative, but aren't you worried about getting access to the aft fuselage area?
    Randy Lervold

Randy,
    Prior to building it I asked the same question of Steve Kellander (as my plane will be almost a carbon copy of his). He can chime in here, but I believe there really hasn't been any need to get back there to do anything. If someone would really want access to the back, I think the velcro straps on material would work fine as well.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Randy, as we speak I am in the process of doing my condition inspection on my Series 5 for the 5th year. I put the floor over the baggage bag then added a piece of thin carpet over the balsa floor. I find that removing the baggage compartment is not neccessary to get to all the stuff I need to see. Once the seat pan is removed I can get to all the torque tube controls and mixer assembly for inspection and lubrication. Make sure you put several inspection ports on the bottom of the fuse to get to things like the elevator tube bushing and static port if need be and removal of the bag is something that will not have to be done to frequently. Bruce Lina