Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baggage Area

Default Re: Baggage Area

The SS, and maybe the Series 7?, have the bellcrank/joint in the elevator rod about half way back the fuselage. Of course a belly inspection port could provide access to that.

Where is everyone putting their ELTs if not behind the baggage compartment?
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

I placed mine behind the left seat under the corner of the baggage floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Keep in mind the Super Sport is very different then the erlier models. The elevator push-pull tubes have another idler bellcrank about mid ship... It is a good idea to put an inspection ring under that bellcrank (belly) for access...both for maintenance and adjustment. Although it can be accessed through the baggage area but it is difficult at best.

Regarding the baggage sack itself.. I like to put the board inside the sack.. I also like to cover it with a material for appearance more then anything. Have not had any de-lamb issues with the board. Also, the board does not need to be removed for inspections...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks everyone for the good info.

Dan, I like your idea of Poly Fiber...looks good, probably doesn't weight much. The Kitfox sack looks good also. Will have to give it more thought.

Still want to have some type of access to the rear thru the turtledeck and cargo area. I'm considering an 0-200 for a powerplant & will probably need to locate the battery and other items like an elt, in the aft section for w/b issues.
    Thanks again.
    Danny Powell
    Super Sport

By placing the floorboard over (into) the bag material, the cargo area is stretched tight. If you put the floor below the bag, nothing holds the shape of the fabric on the bottom except the 4-5 screws holding the floor down. You could place some clear tape over the fiberglassed edges of the floorboard, but once installed, those edges are sealed by the fabric.

Since the bag is velcroed to the fuselage, it is easily folded down to the floorboard if accessibility is required. But as noted, an inspection plate under the center idler bellcrank is really all that is needed. All other inspection items can be reached from behind the seat pan or tail access cover.

I've built aircraft using Polyfiber for cargo areas. It's a lot more work in the beginning and harder to finish off, but creates a nice, tight baggage area. It is permanent, though, and has more rigidity the the material bag.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Attached is a picture of how I installed the baggage floor. I used a longer bolt from beneath, with a bolt on top of the fuse tab. Then a washer, the floor board, then washer and nut. That way I can remove board from above and leave the bolt in place. Also attached s a picture of drawer pulls that serve as a tie down for cargo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

David, nicely done! This is what I just love about experimentals... there's no end to the creative ways to handle a given situation.

After all the good info posted here I think I'll buy some black cordura and glue it to the floor board. Wrapping it around the edges will prevent the delamination I'm worried about too.

Guys, thanks for all the info!
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Exclamation Re: Baggage Area

Randy,
    In my mind, putting the wood down on the inside of the bag is MANDATORY. The reason being that if you have a load of stuff in the sac and it shifts without the floorboards there to draw the side of the sac down taunt, the stuff could push the side of the bag out to the side right into one of your flaperon control rods. I don't see any problem with simply un-velcroing the sac from the frame and folding it onto itself when inspection time comes.
    Also, I got a little tougher ply and put a layer of glass on it. The sprayed some epoxy varnish on it. Should hold up to exploding cola cans in flight....that tale actually comes from an episode my dad had in his Varieze. Inside of canopy coated with sticky cola led to us opting to take non-carbonated drinks from then on....
    Wade