Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV Trigear to Tailwheel

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Question Kitfox IV Trigear to Tailwheel

Hi,I have some questions on converting from trigear to taildragger . I am looking at purchaseing a 2006 Model IV that was built as and is setup in trigear, flying off pavement. It looks to be all standard gear in trigear config. It has a 912 uls , the radiator is mounted just forward of the main gear, right under your seat. Is this common?Are there radiator-nosewheel issues? I would be flying off a slightly rough grass strip, and I have only ever flown taildraggers , would the trigear cause any difficulties? Advantages/Disadvantages of trigear? And what should I check for mounting points on tail ,rudder etc. for setting up as taildragger ?what does the radiator attach to , by the firewall, in a taildragger 912uls setup? Yeh I know allot of question ! Thanks

Default Re: Kitfox IV Trigear to Tailwheel

I don't have the measurements, but my radiator is just behind the rudder pedals. Not a big deal, just drill some new holes and bolt it on further forward. I would wait until you have the landing gear put in its new spot and than find a comfy spot for the radiator.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks Slyfox , curious what the empty weight of your modelIV with 912uls is ?Taildragger or Trigear?

I believe it's about 640, tail dragger. you can go into my personal and see a pic of the plane.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I looking to convert my model IV from tail wheel configuration to tri gear. Maybe if you buy the model iv with the tri gear we could work out some kinda exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by djmc4344 View Post
    I looking to convert my model IV from tail wheel configuration to tri gear. Maybe if you buy the model iv with the tri gear we could work out some kinda exchange?

That might be possible, but I haven't bought it yet ! Why do you want to change to tri gear? What Kind of gear do you have on yours, I would put the grove on. Anyone know the difference in weight of standard gear and grove ? Or what does the standard gear weigh? Grove gear weighs 24.3 lbs for a kitfox IV, I believe that's without axles and wheels.

I'm changing for the following reasons

lower insurance rates
    Easier to take off and land, safer fo me
    I can't find a local instructor for a tail wheel endorsement that will instruct in my Kitfox, insurance wants 10 hrs dual before I can solo it.
    I'm a low time pilot just coming back to flying after many years not flying
    I'm old, 60 years, so I don't learn as fast as when I was young.

My gear is standard gear, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but I would be interested in your set up if you buy the plane.

Dan

I talked to a Grove rep and asked for exact weight of the grove gear for a Model IV Kitfox including mounts and hardware and after a bit of delay she came back with a tad over 31 lbs. My guess was they put the whole thing on a scale. I always love the weights posted in aviation sites - they tend to show the bare bones unit. After talking to her, my guess is that the 24.3 lbs. shown on their site is for the legs only. This gear has billet milled brackets that fit between the fuselage attachments that add the extra wieght. She said the 31 lbs included gear legs, all hardware, mounting brackets and axles. Brakes added to that number.

Lowell

I researched the weight difference when I purchased my kit in 1994. Somehow I came up with Grove being 25 pounds heavier. I can't remember where I got the weight figures so take it for what its worth.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by djmc4344 View Post
    I'm changing for the following reasons

lower insurance rates
    Easier to take off and land, safer fo me
    I can't find a local instructor for a tail wheel endorsement that will instruct in my Kitfox, insurance wants 10 hrs dual before I can solo it.
    I'm a low time pilot just coming back to flying after many years not flying
    I'm old, 60 years, so I don't learn as fast as when I was young.

My gear is standard gear, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but I would be interested in your set up if you buy the plane.

Dan
    Yeh we could possibly work something out, Just have the detail of buying it to work on!