Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Warp in fuselage causing several issues...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Warp in fuselage causing several issues...

Hi. Glad you guys are here. Lots of good info. Thanks!

I picked up a IV speedster kit and am up to the step of rigging the wings. Please bear with me as I try to explain this.

My fues is a little warped. I used string lines to find this out when my dihedral wasn't making any sense. The strut carry through tube is shifted about 5/8 inch to the right side of the plane. In other words, the top spar tubes and bottom strut tube are both parallel, but the bottom strut tube is racked to the right side of the plane 5/8 inch. Like a rhombus shape if you are looking at the front of the airplane. Therefore, to get the dihedral the same on each wing I had to move the left set of strut brackets 5/16 inch in and the right set 5/16 inch out making up for the 5/8 inch shift(5/16 + 5/16= 5/8). Dihedral came out at exactly 0.6 degrees on each wing. No problem really for flight, but due to the change in geometry when I fold the wings back the tips are not aligned. I know why this is happening, but I'm not sure if the flaperons will clear the top of the horizontal stab with the wings folded. The trailing edge of the left wing is about 6 inches above the stab and the trailing edge of the right wing is about 4 inches above the stab.

I need to figure this all out before I drill any holes.

How much clearance do I need for the flaperons over the horizontal stab? What are the suggested dihedral settings?

Other thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Geowitz; 04-18-2010 at 07:32 AM.