Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Verner radial vs. Rotec radial

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Verner radial vs. Rotec radial

Quote Originally Posted by jonbakerok View Post

No need for theory, though. We've got proof. Several Kitfoxes are flying with that beautiful Rotec on the front. None of them are as fast as a 100 hp Rotax. Speed is not why you put a radial on a Kitfox.
    Not sure about that. Here are the actual accounts of one Radial powered Kitfox owner. I’d be surprised if any Rotax (even at 6,000rpm) could match these numbers. No cowl fitted NACA or otherwise!

Due to landing gear length, I know some Rotec/Kitfox owners have compromised performance by running smaller props on there Rotec which is designed to run larger props via its superior torque. 76" diameter is the optimum.

Kitfox Classic IV: Brian Henneman
    Engine R2800 MkI
    Prop: 76"D x 50"P then to 76”D x 55”P.
    Burn: 6 gal/hr
    Max RPM: 3600 (via 3:2 gear box)
    Cruise RPM: 3000 = 2000 at prop.

Comment (26th June 2002): I did a static thrust test this past weekend and it will pull 480 lbs. Very impressive. More later.
    Comment (11th June 2002): Just wanted to let you know I received my new prop a 76"dia. X 55" pitch and the performance really increased. The climb is still about 1500'/min. and the top speed is 130 mph. I can still exceed the red line up to about 3700 rpm. I have been cruising it at 3400 rpm and I am indication 110 -115 mph. I could use about another 5" of pitch to have a really good cruise prop but I will keep this one for demos.
    Comment (28th April 2002 “I got in a couple of hour flying this weekend so far and I took Steve up in it with me. With the prop I have on it, it is really a climbing machine. I can peg the VSI at 2000' / min. and that is really going up for a little airplane”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paulc; 01-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.