Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Possibly a silly question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possibly a silly question

How do flaps affect pitch on a Kitfox? I ask because I am used to pushing the nose down when applying flaps on generic tin-cans, the spring assist for the KF appears to pull back on the stick with the application of flaps.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Possibly a silly question

it has the same effect dorsal ..apply a little flaperon ..apply a little back pressure on stick,..but you have the trimable horizontal stab too ..so you can equalize even more of that . sounds like the 7 encorperates flap and stick for you awesome

re read an editted ..
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 03-29-2010 at 11:07 AM.

I guess thats my point, if I apply a little flap in a 172 I need to put forward pressure on the "stick". Sounds reversed in the Fox which is fine but good to know, have I got this right?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

you got it ,..apply flaperon pitches nose down on any junker style wing,.the flaperon in effect is also a minnie wing ,..you can trim your flight with the flaperon too,..if you've got a little more weight in the carg osection ..add a tad of flaperon,..or in your case a tad of horizontal stab trim,..the differences will be noticed in cruise speed ..more flaperon induces more drag if used for a trim.
    on my model 2 if the nose felt heavy I took more angle out of the flaperon,..I didn't have trim tabs on that plane.

Thanks for the info Chase, BTW the spring assist is an option for the 7, it should also help take out the dead weight of the elevator which I am sure adds considerable drag
    Starting to put parts on for the last time, feels good.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

flaps make the nose pitch down Dorsal. The spring assist is a nice little option.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I don't know how you do it Dorsal ,..i would have already had that bird in the air ,..or had allot of sleepless nights waiting for the big day ha ha
    I'm a bit of an outlaw though when it comes to flying ,..as soon as i completed a plane ,..after a good thrid check of everything ,..it was in the air yeehaa~!

I'm excited for you ,..it's been a long time coming ,..I know you already have the "Kitfox grin" standing in the shadows just waiting to explode on your face Definately a Kodak moment

a bit premature ..but congrat's on your accomplishment their Finn