Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Control Grips

Default Pioneer Control Grips

Has anyone used these with success in their Kitfox? I could see some people taking issue with the fact it favours a single hand instead of being ambidextrous like a bike grip, but man does it look comfortable! They've got some ambi versions coming soon as well.

In speaking with another member who used the Infinity Aerospace HOTAS, there was conflict with the instrument panel with the stick fully forward that required more tinkering than I think I'm comfortable with, so I wonder if this would be any different?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Pioneer Control Grips

Those grips look really nice! Never seen them before.

I had to mess around with the stick height a bit to get my grip to fit within the control parameters and not hit the panel.

Mine is the CS-8. Price was right and they work great. They are comfortable but they are not ambidextrous, and they lock your hand into a certain style of gripping the stick which could bother some pilots.

IMG_2301.jpg

For about the same $$, the Ray Allen G205's are ambidextrous and have the flush buttons on top. They look comfortable.
    I do like having the trim functions on top and being able to vary your grip on the stick.

G205 stick grip.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I used the ray allens. I later had to come back and cut the stick off to let it go just under the dash to get the right throw for down elevator. If your staying on asphalt this won't be a problem if you don't have enough down elevator but for sand bar flying and getting the tail up you need to go a bit under the dash. The taller the grip is it also makes it harder to get in and out of the plane. Just my 2cents. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

It's a shame those Ray Allen grips use that awful foam; it reminds me of those cheapo bike grips from the 90s that have you blisters if you even look at them. It's a shame, because otherwise the grips look like they'd fit the bill very well.

I personally wouldn't want the fancy grips that lock you into a certain grip style. I would guess 90+% of my flying is with a very relaxed finger grip just lightly urging the stick one way or another. A full hand grip is very rare, mostly in bad turbulence.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w View Post
    It's a shame those Ray Allen grips use that awful foam; it reminds me of those cheapo bike grips from the 90s that have you blisters if you even look at them. It's a shame, because otherwise the grips look like they'd fit the bill very well.
    Have used the Ray Allen foam grips for over 20 years on my Series 5 and the foam looks the same as when installed. As others have stated you'll find that the Kitfox flies with fingertips or a very light grip pressure , a heavy handed grip pressure is not required. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w View Post
    Precisely why I removed mine. They get crispy long before they fail. How has Ray Allen not realized this after this many years.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Ray Allen foam, 20+ years and the foam still looks and feels like new ... Maybe my sweat is acting as a UV inhibitor
    and protecting the foam?

If they ever go bad, I'll just replace them with the same foam. I have flown a couple planes with the fancy grips, and
    to me they feel cumbersome and not to my liking at all.

Jeff

I also have been using the Ray Allen foam grips for over 10 years and notice no deterioration or "crispiness". As has been said, a new piece of foam when the time comes is cheap and easy.
    Light finger pressure against foam is far more comfortable than against a hard surface.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If it's to high, can't you just cut a little off the stick?