Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 ULS clone

Default Re: 912 ULS clone

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    My issue with Harbor Freight is when the smoke escapes from their electric tools I can never stuff it back in to make them work.

Haha, this is a true quote from my experience!
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 04-10-2024 at 07:27 PM. Reason: fixed the quote coding
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    My issue with Harbor Freight is when the smoke escapes from their electric tools I can never stuff it back in to make them work. I can only imagine the US General/Bauer/Hercules 912ULS.
    This may solve your problem....

IMG_6178.jpeg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I was at Sun N Fun on Wednesday and came across the "Clone". It at a vendor at Paradise City, the ultralight area. He revealed that the manufacturer had beeb producing "official" Rotax parts for years. I didn't get the spelling but the engines had "ZD" on the valve covers and he said the company was Zeuzus ... or something like that. Below are a few pictures. It looks much like a 912ULS, 100 hp, the castings did look a little rough, in that the surfaces weren't smooth. The carburetors also looked like knock-offs.

IMG_1676.jpgIMG_1675.jpgIMG_1674.jpg
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

MMatt is a You tuber who has installed one of these a while back on his Zenith. He Paid a 3rd of the price of the Rotax when he bought it so I'm assuming around $8,000 but when I looked them up they go around $16,000 now. I feel for only $6,000ish less than a Rotax 912ULS it doesn't really seem like it's worth it at least not for me. I feel that the price of Rotax engines does seem inflated when compared to the prices of engines in other machines with equal or better engineering and technology not just airplanes. Personally I'd want the Rotax for piece of mind and resale. I attached a couple videos one where he talks about the engine on his own and the next his interview with the Experimental Aircraft Channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnCEgmwTv5U https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZAQlKEJ8s
    Last edited by ADK-Flyer; 04-12-2024 at 06:04 AM.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out. I?d be reluctant to fly behind a ?new? engine manufacturer?s first generation model, but there are others (less risk averse than me) who will. Hopefully this gentlemen will publish updates on how the engine performs over time. If it has comparable reliability to Rotax, that might spur Rotax to readjust their pricing. If it doesn?t it will soon disappear just as other experimental aviation manufactures have. Only time will tell!
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV