Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 ULS clone

Default 912 ULS clone

Looks like the patent on the 912 has run out and our "friends" across the pond have been busy.

Any thoughts?

As for me - I hope it causes Rotax to adjust their prices downward but I'm not sure if pricing will ever trend downward.
    The Chi-coms can reverse engineer as good as anyone, but can CD ZKD Aero get the metallurgy right as the Austrians do. (heavy satire)
    Watching the video at 22.30 you can see some crap welds on the oil tank. Not good!

I thought I read somewhere that this 100hp clone is about 16K $$ with a 500 hour warranty??

https://youtu.be/2RhL6DeMGYI?si=YiurzNcw_nzQFIYa
    Last edited by bbs428; 04-08-2024 at 08:40 AM.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Default Re: 912 ULS clone

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    ?
    Watching the video at 22.30 you can see some crap welds on the oil tank. Not good!?.
    I think that?s the muffler, Brett. You asked for thoughts. Rotax created and then refined/improved a unique design to meet a need. Many years and likely many thousands of engineering hours were expended. Hard lessons were learned. Some folks complain about the prices, but have they priced a much simpler, brand new Lycoming or Continental lately? Not looking for a political discussion, but I wouldn?t personally trust or feel good about supporting something of this nature, coming from a place that I consider a huge threat to our country.

Surely some IT guy should be able to fix the issue of this site creating a question mark when an apostrophe is typed.
    Last edited by jrevens; 04-08-2024 at 11:03 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Competition is always good. Now whether I would want to be flying behind the first generation model of this engine that?s a whole different story. If you recall several decades ago when Rotax entered the aviation engine field they were met with skepticism and scorn. I remember all the quips about the ?lawnmower/snowmobile engine?. Rotax has proven itself with time as one of the most reliable aviation engines. Only time will tell if this Chinese knock off will prove its value too.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

More and more military drones around the world, and I wonder if these engines aren't being used in some of those. Many of those drones probably aren't expected to make TBO or even close to that if it's a suicide drone. If that's the case, maybe something that lasts a few hundred hrs may meet it's intended purpose. Not saying this is the case, but more wondering out loud... JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    More and more military drones around the world, and I wonder if these engines aren't being used in some of those. Many of those drones probably aren't expected to make TBO or even close to that if it's a suicide drone. If that's the case, maybe something that lasts a few hundred hrs may meet it's intended purpose. Not saying this is the case, but more wondering out loud... JImChuk
    There was an article (AOPA I believe) that talked about Rotax 912 engines being found on Iranian drones that had been supplies to Russia for use in Ukraine. The serial numbers on the engines of those drones matched 912 engines that had been stolen right off aircraft at airports. Would not surprise me if that was the initial market China was looking at.
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Hard pass on the Harbor Freight 912 clones...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm not going to judge something simply because it was made in China. However, the Rotax engines have a long established history or reliability that these clones don't.
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM

I was told a few months ago by a maintenance instructor that these are exact copies and that the parts are interchangeable. However, the metallurgy and process was different. Be careful if the parts end up on our shore into our aircraft. Buy genuine parts is my advice for what it?s worth. The thought was that these were manufactured for drones and don?t need reliability or 2000 hour TBOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I spend plenty of money at Harbor Freight, but only on certain things. Cheap consumables and certain convenience gadgets are great from HF. But if I need something with close tolerances, or it needs to last, or will be under significant pressure where it would be bad if it failed... I'm probably not buying that stuff at HF. And the engine on the nose of my aircraft certainly falls into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    My issue with Harbor Freight is when the smoke escapes from their electric tools I can never stuff it back in to make them work. I can only imagine the US General/Bauer/Hercules 912ULS.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy