Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: enclosed trailer for Kitfox Lite Ultralight

Default enclosed trailer for Kitfox Lite Ultralight

Hi:

I'm looking to buy a KitFox Lite Ultralight. I'd like to have an enclosed trailer as a "mobile hangar". My local airstrip will allow me to park the trailer there in the tie-down area.

My question is ... what is the width of the Kitfox LITE with the wings folded?

If anyone has any experience with trailering this ultralight, It would be a big help if you could tell me what exact minimum width of door opening and length I would need.

My local trailer dealer can only get trailer door openings as wide as 96", but that's probably not enough. I've heard of 101" trailers, but I'm not sure of where to get them. Any help on locating one would also be appreciated.

Please no guesses. I need to get the trailer before I get the plane, and don't want to show up with a trailer that won't work.

Thanks!!

Default Re: enclosed trailer for Kitfox Lite Ultralight

A friend of mine had a Kitfox lite, and I just texted him now. Hopefully he remembers. I'm sure it's a good bit narrower than the standard Kitfox 1-4, They are about 98" JImChuk

Thanks for checking with your friend. I know there are lots of full-size kitfoxes that are "hangared" in enclosed trailers, so there has to be something available for the KF Lite ultralight.

98" sounds right. The KF Lite tooling was bought by Chris Deuel of Badland aircraft. I don't thing he made any changes to the wing dimensions or attachments. He lists his planes as 99" wide when folded, and only 91" if you are willing to remove one flapperon.

I'd prefer a wider trailer, but I'd be willing to remove/install a flapperon every time I fly if that's the only trailer I can find.

The Kitfox lite is only about 24" wide where the back of the wings attach. The Kitfox 1-4 are about 36". I think the wing cord on the larger Kitfoxes is more than on the lite as well, but even if it's not, that 98" would shrink by one foot to about 86" or 7'2". I got hold of my buddy, but he didn't remember the width for sure. JImChuk

Be sure to measure the horizontal stabilizer too. That is often what limits the size door an airplane will fit through.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    The Kitfox lite is only about 24" wide where the back of the wings attach. The Kitfox 1-4 are about 36". I think the wing cord on the larger Kitfoxes is more than on the lite as well, but even if it's not, that 98" would shrink by one foot to about 86" or 7'2". I got hold of my buddy, but he didn't remember the width for sure. JImChuk
    The wing chord is the main thing. The two wings fold back and the flapperons come together behind the turtle deck, so the folded width will be the two wing chords. I don't think the cabin width really comes into play, because the wings meet in the middle of the turtle deck position.

Quote Originally Posted by t j View Post
    Be sure to measure the horizontal stabilizer too. That is often what limits the size door an airplane will fit through.
    Good point! I've emailed the seller in NY, and he will do some measuring.

Thanks for all the help.