Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 912 ULS parts source

Default Re: Rotax 912 ULS parts source

I agree that an o-ring is not an "airplane part" exclusively, but you better know what you are doing when sourcing things like o-rings from suppliers other than Rotax. The identical size o-ring (diameter and x-section) comes in probably a dozen different "rubber" materials and several different durometers (hardness). Some of these material differences can be identified by color, but others cannot. If you do not know the material specs for the o-ring you are replacing and just order a standard buna N 60 durometer o-ring, you are taking a chance I would not care to take on something like an engine that can get very hot and has several kinds of fluids that must be compatible with the o-ring material in some very critical locations. Just 2 cents worth of thoughts from an old hydraulics engineer.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good points, Jim.

Paul - FYI, keep in mind that we have a very good o-ring supplier right here in Denver. Rocket Seals (I believe on S. Lipan St.). They?ve been in business for many decades and have a huge inventory in both Metric & English sizes in many different materials, durometers and types.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

It?s strange how this site changes some punctuation marks into something else ( like an apostrophe into a question mark in my preceding post).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That is absolutely correct Jim. Having a dedicated operation who deals in seals and Orings almost exclusively, in my back yard, is a plus. One can determine the sizes no problem, but I did have to dig a bit deeper to find the substance it is made from. As for silicone coolant hoses mentioned. I just ordered a second replacement hose as Ive burnt two on the exhaust now. This time I ordered a very expensive Silicone one. One that has the appropriate bends. Ive fixed the routing issue by shortening up some of the other hoses going to the cabin heat radiator. I began replacing my coolant hoses with NAPA supplied hose. I have abandoned that effort for any of those that came with the engine itself. Silicone hose that is straight dose not lend itself to bending into much of a radius. It likes to collapse. So, LEAF is my source for Rotax Silicone formed hose and while I was at it I paid for the Rotax Orings for my new oil leak at the crankshaft position sensors.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Good points, Jim.

Paul - FYI, keep in mind that we have a very good o-ring supplier right here in Denver. Rocket Seals (I believe on S. Lipan St.). They?ve been in business for many decades and have a huge inventory in both Metric & English sizes in many different materials, durometers and types.
    Great information, Thanks!