Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Transporting a Kitfox LITE

Default Transporting a Kitfox LITE

Hi folks:

I'm thinking of buying a Kitfox Lite (The single-seat, 254 lb ultralight version of the Kitfox). It is located about 260 miles from my home town. Do you think it would be OK to transport this plane with wings folded on an open trailer? If so, what max speed do you think the plane can handle with folded wings. Besides tying it down securely, what other things would you do to prep the plane for transport?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Transporting a Kitfox LITE

Maybe have a look at my trailering video for an Avid flyer I put up on youtube. Probably get some ideas. I've trailered Kitfoxes and Avids close to 3500 miles with no ill effects. JImChuk
    Avid Flyer MK IV trailer load and unload demonstration (youtube.com)

Thanks for your response. I have a converted boat trailer also, but it is set up to put the plane in the forward-facing orientation. My concern is having the wings folded, with the plane facing forward, would expose the open (root) end of the wing to the oncoming air. Wouldn't it pump some high-pressure into the wing?

I suppose you could cover the front of the wings with some plastic or something to keep them from filling with air. I've always towed backwards, so wasn't an issue with me. JImChuk

Yeah ... I could just duct tape the root rib, and drive under 50 MPH ... it should be fine?

I was thinking of a piece of plastic that was a couple feet bigger than the end on the wind, and then fold it over the end of the wing and tie/tape it in place. I lived in Deer Lodge back in the early 70s. Nice country. Wasn't living in the big rock house though. Close to 40 yrs since I went through there. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I lived in Deer Lodge back in the early 70s. Nice country. Wasn't living in the big rock house though.
    LOL ... My neighbor's Dad was the retired prison warden at Deer Lodge.