Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cowl fastners - firewall side plate

Default Cowl fastners - firewall side plate

I’m repairing a S7 that a purchased using new parts. Trimmed cowl and now doing the cam lock fasteners. On the sides of the lower cowl attaching to the firewall flange, do the cowl fastner backplates attach to the stainless firewall side plates (footwell sides)? Previous owner had attached the firewall side plates but they don’t extend aft far enough to take the cam lock back plates and line-up with the firewall flange above. I wonder if the cam locks actually just install in the glassfiber of the boot cowl and I need to trim the stainless to clear the backplates instead?

hope this makes sense, will do some pics if not.
    Last edited by Ad Eves; 03-17-2024 at 04:02 AM.

Default Re: Cowl fastners - firewall side plate

Ad - they go in the stainless footwells. Kind of a pain to install and in my case, I needed to go back to the cam lock company and buy four longer locks to actually reach and fit the sockets correctly. I looked for a pic and only found this one that shows only the bottom lock installed in the footwell. I'll look around for the part number of the locks I had to get to make them fit correctly.

Gary

Brake.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Thank Gary, that’s really helpful. I might have to extend my footwell sides rearward a bit.

I think the firewall side plates should be place outwards to be in contact with the boot cowl and then the standard fasteners can be used, I did not catch this in the manual and had to fabricate some filler strips, like Gary I will also need to purchase some longer fasteners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most everyone seems to miss this, including me. For spacers I used some small plywood blocks Hysoled to the inside of the cowl, and got some longer fasteners.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS