Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked Windshield

Default Re: Cracked Windshield

I’m not sure exactly which post it is but in my build log here on team kitfox I show how I repaired mine. It’s been in very low temp and very high temp since and holding up perfectly. No one knows that it was cracked unless I point it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Like others have posted, if that’s where the upper spar area is stop drill it and build the fairing cover bigger to cover it. It’s like finish carpentry, a lot of the build is hiding your mistakes. In my opinion the worst part of the build was the windshield and doors(I bought 2 sets of doors and 2 windshields which was really painful….)

I had removed my windshield to do some behind panel work. When trying to re-install I cracked it. So ordered another one. $1,100 including freight. When box arrived it had holes where a fork lift penetrated box. So cut open box and no damage. Loaded it on pick up and strapped down to carry to airport. It had started raining and box cut up. Five miles down road the entire box except bottom flew out of pick up about ten feet in air and landed on a 4 lane highway. Just knew I was going to spend another $1,100. Fortunately little traffic. A couple of mile later I would be on a super busy freeway. Gathered up packing, box etc and re-strapped. Got to airport and opened all up. Not a scratch!! These things are fragile when handling, one cross eyed look and they crack.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I have exact same crack. I stop drilled end of crack, used some of similar type of suggested cement. My plane has been flying for couple of months and no issue with expanding crack. This was my second windshield. Ironically, my crack occurred AFTER completely installed…..too complicated and embarrassing to explain how it happened. I fitted my windshield in fall but temps over 70 degrees. Window is VERY flexible. I put it on and took it off well over two dozen times……always by myself….just take care to support front and back portions as it is moved and worked on when on the bench…upside down for best support

My first one was just for practice. Had it fitted and trying to trim out the pass through for the spar and got in a hurry, cut a sharp corner…..whoops……then another..bigger…OH,NOOOOO. Use a one inch sanding drum to clear and shape the pass through for the spare in that corner of the window. Just realize there is a lot of built up stress in that spare corner when windshield formed.
    Robert Henderson
    El Paso, Tx
    SS7 Tri gear N87KF
    EP914Ti, Airmaster, Garmin G3x, GNX375

Stop drilled right away and purchased weld on #4 but haven’t used it yet. This is as far as I’ve got on that so far.IMG_2707.jpg