Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Gust Lock and Parking Brake

Default Kitfox Gust Lock and Parking Brake

After watching one of Trent Palmer's recent videos on his 3d printed gust lock/parking brake, I made some small changes to adapt this to the older style rudder pedals. I have yet to test the gust lock ability of it but the parking brake function of it works well.

https://youtu.be/nOY6jvd9jvk?si=UOjDH-wmre8HILW9

20240205_150313.jpg20240205_000134.jpg

If anyone is looking for the files to print their own, they can be found at https://www.printables.com/model/719...ng-brake/files

Chip

Default Re: Kitfox Gust Lock and Parking Brake

It looks very interesting. I’m thinking about giving it a go. I’ve got a KF Model IV with the old style tube rudder pedals. Does the end piece attach directly with the Y Piece or do you have to attach it to the rider pusher? Did you have to make any other modifications to fit the old style tube rudder pedals? How long does it take to 3D print the device? There is a 3D Printing business near me that charges $1.05 for every hour of 3D printing.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

The 3d printed part just gets assembled with 4mm and 6mm hardware (or similar size sae). For Model 1-4 with tube pedals just be sure to print the End piece for model 1-3 (should be 1-4 but I messed that up in my email to Trent) instead of the Rudder Pusher file. No other modifications are necessary. Print time is really going to very depending on printer, line height, and infill. I can print everything on my fast printer in about 8 but it would take about 26hrs or more on my slower Ender3 printer.

Chip

Thanks I’ll give it a try.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Two Thumbs Up for Trent Palmer! I emailed the 3D files to a 3D Printer Company in my area and they printed the device for me in one day. I assembled it with the recommended cap head screws and the parts fit snugly. I put it on the KF today and it works effectively as a parking brake and rudder gust lock. Trent graciously made these files available to the public free of charge.

IMG_1098.jpg
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV