Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans for metal rotisserie needed

Default Plans for metal rotisserie needed

Does anyone happen to have plans for metal wing and fuselage rotisseries that they would be willing to share?

I currently have a wooden wing rotisserie, but I'm seeking something more sleek, robust, and adjustable. While I have limited experience in metalwork (primarily arc and brazing), I'm confident I can manage. However, to minimize errors, I'm keen on utilizing tried and tested plans.

I have access to an arc welder, a chop saw, and various other tools. Creating a rotisserie seems like a perfect reason to invest in a small MIG welder.

TIA!

Steve

Default Re: Plans for metal rotisserie needed

Call The Kitfox factory and see if they will let you come and measure theirs.When I picked my kit up I took a look at the ones they use.I made mine similar to theirs.The Factory Tour You Tube John videoed during the Covid shutdown shows some good shots of them.

Not quite as elaborate as a metal one but I've done this on 5 Avids and Kitfoxes. When I wanted it to be up side down, I tied the tail up higher to the ceiling to a hook I had up there. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used a Harbor Freight engine stand on the firewall end and a bar bolted to the tail spring sitting in a pipe stand on the other.

If would have lifted the engine stand up a little, it would allow full 360º rotation, but with it on the floor you can get 300º to either side of the vatical tail, which was close enough.

Easy-Peasy.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Jim,

Your jig is very similar to the plan in the poly-fiber manual. I built a similar wood crossbar thing for the firewall and found it to be most economical (a necessary issue for me) and completely workable. If it took me a couple more minutes to rotate the fuselage that was fine.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Jim,

Your jig is very similar to the plan in the poly-fiber manual. I built a similar wood crossbar thing for the firewall and found it to be most economical (a necessary issue for me) and completely workable. If it took me a couple more minutes to rotate the fuselage that was fine.

That is probably where I got the idea for mine. It was about 15 yrs ago that I used one for the first time. It was pretty cheap ( I always have 2x4 material around) and worked well. JImChuk

A rotisserie, wing or fuselage, does not need to be super convenient or efficient. Its not like you need to rotate these things multiple times per day. Usually several days or many, many days go by before you need to rotate. Just build something that functions, and don't waste valuable building time on fancy fixtures. My 2 cents.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    A rotisserie, wing or fuselage, does not need to be super convenient or efficient. Its not like you need to rotate these things multiple times per day. Usually several days or many, many days go by before you need to rotate. Just build something that functions, and don't waste valuable building time on fancy fixtures. My 2 cents.
    This is a super helpful comment. I love tinkering with and learning new things, but focusing on the plane has my plate pretty well full, and that's where I should spend my time.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Well said!

Scrap wood and an old engine stand made up mine. Not an engineering marvel by any means, but it got the job done!

IMG_0192.jpg IMG_0193.jpg
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Well said!

Scrap wood and an old engine stand made up mine. Not an engineering marvel by any means, but it got the job done!
    Oh, wow, that's perfect. Great suggestion!