Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Where did you build your plane?

Default Where did you build your plane?

Where did/are you building your plane?
    How did it go?
    What would you change?
    General recommendations?

I'm slated to my Kitfox home sometimes in Q1 2025, and I don't yet have a plan in place for where I'm going to store all the pieces, or build the damn thing! Apparently you can get it done in a single car garage (not ideal), so I figured I'd ask the community how they got theirs done.

It could be fun for everyone to see how their experience compares with others in the community!

Default Re: Where did you build your plane?

Built mine in a double car garage with no problems. Had a flat driveway in front so I could push the fuselage out to try on the wings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

D,

Bottom line - build it where you live; and, with whatever adaptations needed to accomodate the project. I think it is best to avoid a remote location away from where you live because you never get as much time on task compared to living with your project.

A pal did it in a 1 stall garage.

Did mine in the attached garage(unheated) and basement (heated). Wings in the basement over winter; and, yes, I did measure the stairwell first so as to avoid the classical homebuilders conundrum. Since the overhead garage door was a cozy 9X7, I made a tail dolly when I got to the engine work. A trigear stands 8' (approx) at the tail so the tail has to come part way down while not letting the nose get too high so the prop (3 blade in this case) would catch the door. Garage was deep enough to fit the folded wings minus the wing tips. Did the painting out in the driveway, working around wind, temp, bugs and cottonwood crud.

You know, a 40X60 pole barn would be great, but if a guy doesn't have that, use what you have and adjust.

I will mention that if a person does fuel system testing in the driveway, particularily if you dig a hole for the nose wheel to measure usable fuel at that angle, might be a good idea to notify your local authorities and neighbors as to what you are up to as apparently some people in the world aren't accustomed to seeing an plane tail high in the driveway with the nosewheel in a hole. No need to ask how I know that.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I built a room inside a barn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6roenIAF8&t=8s

I agree with Dave about doing it as close to home as possible. I worked on mine sometimes when I had 30 minutes, you won't do that if its 30 minutes to the hanger.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

I did as much building as possible in a 1 car garage. As others stated, it was because it was a few steps from my back door. I could work on my plane for 15 minutes if that is all the time I had. Or walk out and measure something or just stare at the parts and see how they go together.

I was able to store the big parts I wasn't working on at my hangar, several miles away. Once I got to the stage of rigging the wings I moved it all to the hangar. Nothing like driving all the way to the hangar and realizing I forgot (insert item) and have to make another round trip.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I am building mine in a hangar at my local airport. It's only 12 minutes from house (15-18 during rush hour) but it definitely adds up. Especially if you forget something at home. It's cold and dark out. If it were in my garage, I'd be working on it right now! Unfortunately, I don't have room at my house and love the extra space the hangar offers. I bet I could be shaving 6-8 months off my build time if I had access to it every night at home.

If I could do it all over again and make space at home, I'd rather be building mine at home (but still have the hangar ! On the plus side, there's no better place to meet like minded people than out at the airport. I've definitely made a number of new friends I wouldn't have met!

Kevin
    Building KitFox STi

I built 70% of the plane in an old, non-insulated metal shop at my last home. Hot in the summer and chilly in the winter! It is great to be able to walk out the back door and get to work within a few minutes!

20180522_082703 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg 20190221_172953 (2020_09_21 10_29_07 UTC).jpg

I finished the plane at my current home which has an insulated roof and a much taller overhead. Again, it's a short walk to the airplane but still can get very warm or cold during extreme weather. I do have a couple of window ac units and some floor fans to take the edge off the heat.

IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2359.jpg

Can't stress enough the importance of making it as easy as possible to get the job done!
    I was lucky. I've seen some fantastic airplanes built in one-car garages, living rooms and sheds!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Single car garage at my house. Extra (heated) room in the house with tools was very helpful for the smaller parts. As others have mentioned, proximity to home is most important. The very last steps can be done at the hangar, but commute will add up quickly.

I had a 36 X 24 pole barn built in 1984. A couple years later in 1986 I was taking my primary flight training and my instructor loaned me a VHS promotional tape about The Kitfox. I bought a classic 4 kit in 1984 and the 24 X 36 pole barn was perfect. I could spread the wings in there. A year later the boss from hell transferred in to my work station so I transferred out.

At my new house I contracted a pole building builder to build me another 36 X 24 pole barn. I went to look at it after he had started work. All that was done was he had dug the holes for the poles. It didn't look right so I paced it off. I'm Lucky I did. It was only 30 X 24. He was an old timer and Didn't use paper contracts, just a hand shake. He said I had told him 30 X 24. I replied that I was building an airplane that was 21 foot long with a 32 foot wing span. He said Okay, it'll still be the same price.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder