Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Skyraider II kitfox cousin

Default Skyraider II kitfox cousin

Not sure if asking about other brands is allowed but I assumed some people on here may have some insight or know a bit about the Skyraider II kit plane. Apparently from what I’ve read they share some lineage with the Kitfox. I’ve secured my funding and now I’m working through the process of deciding on what I want to order when I order my Kitfox kit and I’m figuring 4-5 years before I’d be flying that with lead and build time. I saw a flying Skyraider II with about 40 hours and a 912uls for sale and it sparked my interest. I was thinking maybe this could be something to tinker with and build time in while waiting and building then sell. They are asking 35,000 which I’m not sure if that’s too high or not. What I’ve noticed and read was they are a 2 seater tandem but the back seat looks a bit tight and I believe it also does not have dual controls though I was told 1200 tow and 600 ew. Anybody have any experience in these?

Default Re: Skyraider II kitfox cousin

A friend of mine has a Skyraider 2 with a 60 HP HKS engine. The back seat area would fit a small kid I think. With a 912 it would be a real screamer I would think. Maybe to much engine for that size airframe?? A quick google search shows 950 as being the gross weight. Wonder about nose heavy CG issues. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    A friend of mine has a Skyraider 2 with a 60 HP HKS engine. The back seat area would fit a small kid I think. With a 912 it would be a real screamer I would think. Maybe too much engine for that size airframe?? A quick google search shows 950 as being the gross weight. Wonder about nose heavy CG issues. JImChuk
    I was told this is a Skyraider 2 super with a gross of 1200.

I did a little research after reading this thread, as I wasn't familiar with the SkyRaider. The company (SkyRaider, LLC, née Flying K) appears to be gone from the marketplace.

ADK-Flyer may be confusing two different versions of this airplane. According to this Wiki article, there was a SkyRaider II that used, typically, 50-60hp engines and had a max gross weight of 950 lbs, and a Super SkyRaider that could handle up to 80hp and had a max gross weight of 1,050 lbs.

If the airplane in question is either of those then I'd be very suspicious of anyone claiming a 1,200-lb gross weight without some solid engineering work to back it up.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I did a little research after reading this thread, as I wasn't familiar with the SkyRaider. The company (SkyRaider, LLC, née Flying K) appears to be gone from the marketplace.

ADK-Flyer may be confusing two different versions of this airplane. According to this Wiki article, there was a SkyRaider II that used, typically, 50-60hp engines and had a max gross weight of 950 lbs, and a Super SkyRaider that could handle up to 80hp and had a max gross weight of 1,050 lbs.

If the airplane in question is either of those then I'd be very suspicious of anyone claiming a 1,200-lb gross weight without some solid engineering work to back it up.
    I’ve been coming up with the same info as you. I contacted the owner and he told me it was 1200 GW and 600 EW and he had a 912 ULS. I’ve found nothing about one with 1200 gross though he told me his plane is a Skyraider II Super. Found this https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-f...ns?specid=1343

The issue is this: it's up to the builder to set the maximum gross weight on the airworthiness certificate application. If the inspector isn't intimately familiar with the type, he may just accept whatever the builder puts on the form as long as it seems reasonable for the plane he's inspecting. The fact that the SkyRaider you're looking at was issued an airworthiness certificate at 1,200#, and has been flown at that weight, does not necessarily mean that it's been engineered and modified properly for the higher weight.

For example, I have a Series 5 Kitfox that's supposed to be 1,400#, but the later production units went up to 1,550#. I could easily list the higher weight on my airworthiness application and it's likely that no one would be the wiser. I'd get an airworthiness certificate at the higher weight just by declaring it so, and without making any of the necessary structural modifications. The airplane would look more useful on paper, but would it be safe?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    The issue is this: it's up to the builder to set the maximum gross weight on the airworthiness certificate application. If the inspector isn't intimately familiar with the type, he may just accept whatever the builder puts on the form as long as it seems reasonable for the plane he's inspecting. The fact that the SkyRaider you're looking at was issued an airworthiness certificate at 1,200#, and has been flown at that weight, does not necessarily mean that it's been engineered and modified properly for the higher weight.

For example, I have a Series 5 Kitfox that's supposed to be 1,400#, but the later production units went up to 1,550#. I could easily list the higher weight on my airworthiness application and it's likely that no one would be the wiser. I'd get an airworthiness certificate at the higher weight just by declaring it so, and without making any of the necessary structural modifications. The airplane would look more useful on paper, but would it be safe?
    That makes sense I'm guessing that is what I am possibly seeing here. The 600lb useful load he's reporting definitely makes it more appealing to possible buyers than the 450lb it was probably actually designed at. Definitely gives you something to think about.