Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Country Kitfox

Default North Country Kitfox

Hello all: Tall pilot looking at buying a Kitfox and wonder if there are any out there in the northern Vermont or New Hampshire area that I could just try on for size -- no demo flight required! I'm thinking about the Kitfox 4, but any model would do.

Thanks, David Brody

Default Re: North Country Kitfox

I've been meaning to head up there from the Hudson valley again once I get a little time from work - I'll post here when I do!

Great, I'll keep a lookout. Thanks much!

Perhaps you could mention your actual height, and the inseam length on the pants you wear? (Some people are tall in the body and short in the legs or vice versa) That can determine if leg room or headroom is the problem. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Perhaps you could mention your actual height, and the inseam length on the pants you wear? (Some people are tall in the body and short in the legs or vice versa) That can determine if leg room or headroom is the problem. JImChuk
    Good point. It's all in the legs. I'm 6'4", with a 36" inseam. Adding 12-14 inches to the waist and it makes for 48-50 inches of legroom. I know I'm not going to get that in a two seater, almost all of which I've ever tried are somewhere around 40-44 inches, but as long as I can reasonably fit for an hour's flight I'd be happy. I think it would be best to just sit in one and see how it feels.

I might mention that I generally fly a 4 seat Navion and I had the seat track extended backwards so I have all the room in the world. Great plane, but I'm looking for a STOL aircraft I can fly out of my back yard.

David Brody

I too am 6’4” 36” inseam and fit.I train and do my BFRs in Stick and Rudders S 7 and S 7 STI.I fly a Sorrell Hiperlight and chose to train in the Kitfox because of the similar flight speeds.I liked the new Kitfox so well I ordered and am building a STI.I do have too watch my feet inadvertently getting on the brakes.I am adding blocks to the lower part of the rudder petals like some have done.You will find the factory seat upholstery very comfortable on log flights.

I’m not quite as tall as some of you guys in this thread, but I’m curious about the blocks in the rudder pedals —

How does adding blocks help, or what does it do specifically? I would have thought that they would have made the legroom smaller — a disadvantage for tall people, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear size 12 shoes so the ball of my foot is above the pivot point for the brakes plus the added angle of the knees puts even more toe contact on the upper part of the petals.I talked to Paul at Stick and rudder about raising the petals on my STI to fit my feet better.He said look at the shape of most rudder petals and they protrude out on the lower part of the petal.Take a look at Cessna 172 petals for a good example of that.The blocks allow my foot to contact the petal below the brake pivot point.I have read that some shorter pilots have problems with this situation also.

I forgot to add that I also raised my petal assembly slightly .I am at the point in my build where I was able to sit in the seat and the ball of my feet are laying perfectly on the petal now.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry fox View Post
    I too am 6’4” 36” inseam and fit.I train and do my BFRs in Stick and Rudders S 7 and S 7 STI.I fly a Sorrell Hiperlight and chose to train in the Kitfox because of the similar flight speeds.I liked the new Kitfox so well I ordered and am building a STI.I do have too watch my feet inadvertently getting on the brakes.I am adding blocks to the lower part of the rudder petals like some have done.You will find the factory seat upholstery very comfortable on log flights.
    Thanks for the feedback, very encouraging. I just need to find one local I can try on for size. Last call -- any North Country Kitfoxes out there?