Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Kitfox and aviation to an extent, have lots of questions...

Default New to Kitfox and aviation to an extent, have lots of questions...

Hi all,
    First, i'd like to start by saying that I have been around flying my whole life (38 years) however I have zero official hours and have not owned a plane before (go easy one me please).

I recently was afforded an opportunity to purchase a very nice example of a kitfox classic 4 with a 912 UL from the builder. I know that I will need to have an A&P take care of my annuals but the mechanic at the airport where the plane is at said he doesnt have the tooling to work on Rotax and didnt have time to take on anymore annuals..

Who is the go to to have this plane checked over in or around western washington?

Does anyone have recommendations for a CFI that will train in a kitfox? (preferably closer to Bremerton washington, or Port Townsend)

Default Re: New to Kitfox and aviation to an extent, have lots of questions...

Welcome to the group. First off, for normal maintenance on the Rotax engine, about all you need are metric wrenches, sockets and allen wrenches. Usually they are pretty dependable. My guess is the AnP just doesn't want to do it, maybe like he said, just to busy. Ask him if he knows any other AnPs, and talk to other aircraft owners to see who they use for their conditional inspections. JImChuk

PS. probably best if you can find an AnP who does it as a sideline. He probably doesn't have a huge hangar to pay for and his prices will likely reflect that.

I thought that statement of not having the tools for it seemed a little off, I didnt see anything on the engine when I was looking at it that jumped out at me as a weird fastener..

Thats good advice on the sideline A&P, i'll ask around the local airports to see what I can find.

"Special tools required" is not far off actually. Fixing to remove my 912is for just this reason. Seems a special tool is required to remove the rear seal.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    "Special tools required" is not far off actually. Fixing to remove my 912is for just this reason. Seems a special tool is required to remove the rear seal.
    Are you planning on selling your 912is? How many hours are on the engine?

Not selling yet. We will see what happens when these two 915is Kitfoxs get finished here in SoCal. I might just be jealous enough to replace this one. Just replacing the rear engine seal at this time.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That isn't really a regular maintenance issue though is it? Is it the main rear seal on the engine crankshaft? JImChuk

I don't know how regular this seeping is but Im pleased that mine lasted 600hrs unlike Brian who had to replace his during phase 1 flight testing if I recall correctly.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm in Tacoma if you're not able to find a CFI at PWT or 0S9
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I will keep that in mind, I am going to meet with the local EAA chapter tomorrow I believe, if that doesnt yield results I'll let you know.