Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NR prop bolt concern

Default NR prop bolt concern

Hi all, I have about 175 hrs on my NR two blade prop on my Kitfox 4 with 80 HP 912. I've adjusted the prop a number of times between winter and summer, but never actually took the bolts out. The other day I put a balance master on it, and got new AN5 bolts for the install. Here is what I found. I've always torqued the bolts to correct torque, but a few times it did seem like a couple of them acted weird. Like not turning as much as I expected at the next torque setting. I would say that apparently, they weren't tightening up to correct torque, at least some of them. I'm back to working on my new built Kitfox 4 now, and I took the NR two blade prop off of it, so I could work on the engine and cowl install better. I had ran this engine/prop about 15 or 20 minutes last summer, before I got side tracked. Both times I used the bolts that NR supplied with the props. Last prop I know of that came from them didn't come with bolts. Maybe I'm not the only one who had an issue. I like the prop, gives good performance, but if you are running their bolts, you may want to have a look. First two pictures and the fourth one are the 80 HP, and the third and fifth ones are of the 100 HP 912 with 15 or 20 minutes run time. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: NR prop bolt concern

When we bought our NR props and they showed up, I did notice the bolts seem to be low grade hardware so we changed them out from day 1. I would also recommend to change out the hardward to aircraft grade bolts. Another kitfox friend gave me the number to a company in Texas that can get you all the replacement hardware.

PH: (817) 326-6293 E-MAIL: SABERMFG@SABERMFG.COM

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I did change out the bolts to AN5-36 bolts before I reinstalled the prop. JImChuk

Good call.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

The NR bolts had an 8.8 marking on the heads. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    The NR bolts had an 8.8 marking on the heads. JImChuk
    If that marking denotes a grade 8 bolt (I don’t know if it does - are they metric?) then those bolts are likely supposed to have a greater tensile strength than a normal AN bolt. AN bolts are roughly equivalent to a grade 5. NAS bolts are available in higher strength than AN bolts also.

Just as an aside, I know that a few American wood prop makers used to specify stronger industrial bolts for their props also. Coming from trusted US manufacturers, they were usually equivalent to grade 8.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    If that marking denotes a grade 8 bolt (I don’t know if it does - are they metric?) then those bolts are likely supposed to have a greater tensile strength than a normal AN bolt. AN bolts are roughly equivalent to a grade 5. NAS bolts are available in higher strength than AN bolts also.

Just as an aside, I know that a few American wood prop makers used to specify stronger industrial bolts for their props also. Coming from trusted US manufacturers, they were usually equivalent to grade 8.

8.8 is NOT a grade 8 bolt. It is a metric designation closer to an SAE grade 5.

I ordered special size metric 8.8 hardware for mine that attached into the metric threaded hub inserts. I needed longer hardware for the prop spacer, balance ring and the prop hub. I put the bolts into my milling machine and cross drilled the heads for safety wire.

Metric-Bolt-Grades-Compared-to-SAE-metric-bolt-grades-vs-SAE-DGMF-Mold-Clamps-Co.-Ltd.jpg

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/m...html#gsc.tab=0
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 01-22-2024 at 07:09 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

“8.8 is NOT a grade 8 bolt. …”

Thanks Larry, I should have known that. As I asked in my first sentence - (…”are they metric?”).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Just to clarify my previous comments, specifically about some propeller manufacturers in previous times specifying non-AN bolts, I am not suggesting that it’s wise or safe to substitute any type of bolt other than what is specified by the particular propeller designer/manufacturer. Although a grade 8 bolt has greater tensile strength than a grade 5 for instance, that doesn’t necessarily make it better or safer for a particular application, even if you can be certain that it meets the specifications for it’s type. It may be stronger in tension but more brittle for instance. And (unless it’s counterfeit) you can trust AN hardware to meet design specs. There are usually important factors involved in choosing parts & materials that may not be readily apparent. Sorry for the long diatribe about things that are likely very obvious to many people reading this.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Thanks for this information. It's made me want to learn more about fasteners. In my readings, I thought this was interesting:

https://troweltrades.net/2023/06/05/...0%2C000%20PSI.

Bolts are graded based on their material properties, including tensile strength, yield strength, and hardness. Grade 5 bolts are made of medium carbon steel with a tensile strength of 120,000 PSI and a yield strength of 92,000 PSI. On the other hand, grade 8 bolts are made of alloy steel with a tensile strength of 150,000 PSI and a yield strength of 130,000 PSI. The higher strength of grade 8 bolts makes them more suitable for demanding applications that require more durability and reliability.
    One of the primary applications for grade 8 bolts is in the automotive industry, where high-stress and high-vibration conditions are common. In this industry, grade 8 bolts are preferred for critical components such as engine mounts, suspension systems, and steering components. These bolts are also used in heavy equipment, construction, and aerospace industries, where safety and reliability are paramount.
    In contrast, grade 5 bolts are typically used in low to medium-stress applications, such as general construction, automotive, and machinery. They are also commonly used in non-critical applications such as holding non-structural components in place.

So why do we use the equivalent to grade 5 bolts on something that is obviously very critical, high stress, high-vibration (possibly)?

Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL