Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions to ask when buying a kit?

Default Questions to ask when buying a kit?

Hi everybody,

Im new to the forum here, I’ve been eyeballing a model 4 kit that is for sale on barnstormers and was wondering what kind of questions should be asked regarding the purchase of a used kit.
    What has come to my mind so far is…..

1. Serial number

2. Factory bill of sale 8050-2

3. The completeness of the kit but this is where I have questions.
    I’m not sure how the model 4 kits were sold, are they like an rv where they’re sold in sections? Empennage , fuselage, wings, finishing?

that’s all I can think of, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Questions to ask when buying a kit?

If the kit was from Denny or Skystar, they didn't provide bills of sale with the kit. There is a letter and form on the FAA website that you can send in with your other info, and the FAA will accept that in lieu of an original bill of sale. I did it last year on my new Kitfox 4 build and there was no problem with it from the FAA. The kits were sold in various arrangements. You could get quick build wings, firewall aft, firewall forward as well for that matter. Don't think they ever sold individual sections of kits, like wings, fuselage, ect. Here is a link to it. Look at the second one from the left. Obviously, completeness of the kit is important. But depending on price, most anything can be found on the used market or built. Kitfox does sell quite a few parts for the Kitfox 4 yet as well. JImChuk
    Downloads – Kitfox (kitfoxaircraft.com)

thank you very much!

There were 2 different versions of the KF4, one was a 1050gw, then they upgraded to a 1200gw.
    Obviously, the Classic 4 (1200gw) is the more desirable airframe kit to build.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    If the kit was from Denny or Skystar, they didn't provide bills of sale with the kit. There is a letter and form on the FAA website that you can send in with your other info, and the FAA will accept that in lieu of an original bill of sale. I did it last year on my new Kitfox 4 build and there was no problem with it from the FAA. The kits were sold in various arrangements. You could get quick build wings, firewall aft, firewall forward as well for that matter. Don't think they ever sold individual sections of kits, like wings, fuselage, ect. Here is a link to it. Look at the second one from the left. Obviously, completeness of the kit is important. But depending on price, most anything can be found on the used market or built. Kitfox does sell quite a few parts for the Kitfox 4 yet as well. JImChuk
    Downloads – Kitfox (kitfoxaircraft.com)
    Just to clarify, in the first part of my second sentence, I said FAA website, I meant to say Kitfox LLC website. At any rate, the link should take you to the right form and letter.

Copy, thanks. There is some useful info in there.