Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: hydraulic lock

Default hydraulic lock

I've owned four 912 powered airplanes over the years(2 KFs) and all would lock up if left sitting for a period of time usually a couple of weeks or longer. It is almost always caused by oil in the #4 cylinder. (pull the bottom #4 plug and about a tablespoon or so of oil runs out and your good to go) My latest KF IV seems to be much more prone to doing it than any of my previous airplanes in a shorter period of time . Any ideas on what could be the difference (oil tank height?)or possible solutions. I'm getting pretty quick at dropping the cowl and pulling the plug but its kind of a PITA when you want tot go fly.
    Thanks
    Skip
    NC

Default Re: hydraulic lock

Have you tried burping it after flying? I wonder if that would help to try and return the oil back to oil tank. Is your oil tank higher than the engine? Are you running rotax oil filter with check valve?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

What Dustin & shadowrider said....

You didn't mention what kitfox model/series you have, however it is my understanding that the earlier craft
    had the oil tank mounted quite high possibly allowing drainback.

FWIW our S7 has the lower tank mounting.

I have gotten accustomed to always burping the engine after a run (hot oil burps quicker than cold) and have never had a problen with hydraulic lock.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

It's a KF IV.(round cowl) I'm using the Rotax filter. I've always burped it before flying not afterwards, should I do a post flight burp as well? I'm just curious why this engine seems so much more prone to locking up than my previous 912s.
    thanks
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Have you tried burping it after flying? I wonder if that would help to try and return the oil back to oil tank. Is your oil tank higher than the engine? Are you running rotax oil filter with check valve?
    let me say first off that I have over 3000 hrs in the kitfox alone. I'm on my second motor. Burp the engine after a flight, really? I always check my oil level after flight, why?, because the level is at the top of the stick at that time. I don't understand your reasoning on burping the engine. In fact out of 20 years of flying my kitfox I never burp the engine before flight. Why? Because I fly every day and the oil level has proven to be with in range and I always turn the engine over 8 blades. Never had a problem. Yes one time I let the engine sit a few weeks and yes one of the cylinders filled with oil, I removed plug and got the oil out. Now with all this said, I have an oil thermostat mounted to the top of the gear box, I believe that has slowed the oil from draining out of the tank. take care
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by egp8111 View Post
    It's a KF IV.(round cowl) I'm using the Rotax filter. I've always burped it before flying not afterwards, should I do a post flight burp as well? I'm just curious why this engine seems so much more prone to locking up than my previous 912s.
    thanks
    Skip
    I feel if you want to reduce the problem, maybe put the tail on a saw horse to keep the aircraft level.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I've been flying Kitfox 4s with 912 engines for 14 years, all with the "improper" oil tank placement of the OEM engine mount.

I have NEVER had a oil-hydrolock.

I have NEVER done a post flight engine-burp.

I ALWAYS pull the engine through at least 5 full rotations before attempting to start and burp before the first start of the day.

I ALWAYS run the Rotax oil filter with a check valve in it. This is key to preventing oil syphoning and hydrolock.

There must be something in your oil line routing or some other source that is causing the syphoning to happen.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos