Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

I heard there was Kitfox 5 crash in Arizona on Friday with 1 fatality. No details.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

A friend sent me this:
    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=348717

No real information
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Numerous articles about the crash can be found online. Pretty small debris field with aircraft destroyed by fire.

Rick

The pilot has been identified as Kenneth Szeluga of Tucson.
    Our sincerest condolences to Ken’s family and friends on his passing. Blue skies and fair winds Ken.
    Always sad to lose one of our Kitfox community members.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The prelim report came out today, you can find it in the NTSB website under case WPR24FA053. To clarify a few other remarks made in other posts, the engine did not depart the aircraft, and the NTSB is fully investigating this. One post said they would not because the plane was experimental. I had spoken to the investigator numerous times in the week after the accident. We need to wait for further analysis of the prop hub for a final word. Here is a link to Ken's obituary. https://adairfuneralhomes.com/tribut...bute-startpost

Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    The prelim report came out today, you can find it in the NTSB website under case WPR24FA053. To clarify a few other remarks made in other posts, the engine did not depart the aircraft, and the NTSB is fully investigating this. One post said they would not because the plane was experimental. I had spoken to the investigator numerous times in the week after the accident. We need to wait for further analysis of the prop hub for a final word. Here is a link to Ken's obituary. https://adairfuneralhomes.com/tribut...bute-startpost
    Extremely sorry to hear and my condolences. In looking at the single blade picture, that does not look intact or at least it looks different than the blade on my 3-blade Kiev prop. I beleive Kiev and NR are the same and my Kiev prop has a collar molded into the hub end. The prop blade in the picture looks like the collar is worn off.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/193499/pdf

Prop hub does not appear to be a NR hub? Hopefully we will get more info on this? I really hope the NTSB will release more info so we can prevent this from happening again?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/193499/pdf

Prop hub does not appear to be a NR hub? Hopefully we will get more info on this? I really hope the NTSB will release more info so we can prevent this from happening again?
    Ken bought both hubs directly from NR.

Preliminary investigation has revealed that a blade separated from the propeller causing engine separation, and loss of control. The propeller was a two blade ground adjustable NR unit from Ukraine installed on a 160hp Lycoming.
    Ken was a good friend, a terrible loss for his family, and all of his friends.

Oh that’s too bad! Hopefully we can get more info as lots are running the NR props.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!