Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

Default Re: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

My name is Glenn, long time friend and neighbor of Ken's. I was with him the day of the crash, we flew to Eloy together and returning Ken took off in front of me and crashed. The next day the NTSB allowed me to return and walk through what they were doing. I am a retired pilot with prior investigation training and experience. I can tell you that prior information that was put out by people not there was incorrect. After the prelim report is published I will share what I know within the confines of the final report not being concluded. RIP old friend.

I am sorry for your loss. Got to be hard to lose a flying buddy. Thanks for sharing and we will be on standby.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    My name is Glenn, long time friend and neighbor of Ken's. I was with him the day of the crash, we flew to Eloy together and returning Ken took off in front of me and crashed. The next day the NTSB allowed me to return and walk through what they were doing. I am a retired pilot with prior investigation training and experience. I can tell you that prior information that was put out by people not there was incorrect. After the prelim report is published I will share what I know within the confines of the final report not being concluded. RIP old friend.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. RIP to Ken.

The prelim report came out today, you can find it in the NTSB website under case WPR24FA053. To clarify a few other remarks made in other posts, the engine did not depart the aircraft, and the NTSB is fully investigating this. One post said they would not because the plane was experimental. I had spoken to the investigator numerous times in the week after the accident. We need to wait for further analysis of the prop hub for a final word. Here is a link to Ken's obituary. https://adairfuneralhomes.com/tribut...bute-startpost

Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    The prelim report came out today, you can find it in the NTSB website under case WPR24FA053. To clarify a few other remarks made in other posts, the engine did not depart the aircraft, and the NTSB is fully investigating this. One post said they would not because the plane was experimental. I had spoken to the investigator numerous times in the week after the accident. We need to wait for further analysis of the prop hub for a final word. Here is a link to Ken's obituary. https://adairfuneralhomes.com/tribut...bute-startpost
    Extremely sorry to hear and my condolences. In looking at the single blade picture, that does not look intact or at least it looks different than the blade on my 3-blade Kiev prop. I beleive Kiev and NR are the same and my Kiev prop has a collar molded into the hub end. The prop blade in the picture looks like the collar is worn off.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/193499/pdf

Prop hub does not appear to be a NR hub? Hopefully we will get more info on this? I really hope the NTSB will release more info so we can prevent this from happening again?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/193499/pdf

Prop hub does not appear to be a NR hub? Hopefully we will get more info on this? I really hope the NTSB will release more info so we can prevent this from happening again?
    Ken bought both hubs directly from NR.

Glenn we are all very sorry this happened. I keep thinking about this accident and wonder if you have any more insight? Lots of people are running the NR prop, including myself. Thanks for any more info if you have it?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Glenn we are all very sorry this happened. I keep thinking about this accident and wonder if you have any more insight? Lots of people are running the NR prop, including myself. Thanks for any more info if you have it?
    Unfortunately I have no further info. I will say that I have been very impressed with the NTSB investigator. Most recently I shipped him the 3rd blade to DC, they are going to do a CT scan on it, hoping that will lead to why the blade failed. Personally, after seeing what I saw, and being a pilot for over 50 years, I would never use this prop.
    Last edited by glennb; 01-08-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Wonder if NR prop can offer any insight. I sent an email but haven't heard anything. Could the prop hub been manufactured incorrect and not clamp the prop blade sufficiently allowing the centrifugal force be put on the prop ring causing it to fail? Looks like the ring failed and the prop was flung out the hub but hard to tell from the photo? Sorry I am guessing you are not wanting to speculate, but its hard not to? Also any ideas why the plane was unflyable after prop failure?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!