Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Drybot

Default Drybot

Anyone have any experience with, or know of anyone who has used the Drybot engine dehydrator, from RPX technologies, the same folks who give us the Dynavibe? I may get to the first start before the really cold weather sets in, but then it may well sit idle until spring. Pricey ($1195), but it is a 25K engine. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Default Re: Drybot

What kind of engine?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Rotax 912iS

Check out the latest edition of Kitplanes, the one with Brandon's 916 on the cover. There is an article on how to make your own dehydrator. It looks like it would work with any engine.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Thanks Ralph, I'll check it out.

Rick

900 series Rotax engines have been historically impervious to "storage corrosion" unlike the legacy aircraft engines. I personally know of engines that have been in storage for many years without any detectable damage. This goes especially if the engine has not run yet, the manufacturing packaging treatments should be quite robust.

Are you perhaps fixing a non-problem?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I was talking with the head mechanic at Leading Edge Airfoils, and he also said the 912 engines are not very prone to corrosion issues. I know the one I'm flying behind for the last 150 hrs or so sat for many years before I put it in my Kitfox and put it to use. I did pull a cylinder and inspect the internals before I started using it, and it all looked good. Cylinders are nicosil coated, so they don't rust either. It was stored in northen Mn, so maybe somewhere with high humidity would be worse. JImChuk

Larry and Jim, thank you very much for the info. I'm new to Rotax engines so was totally unaware of their corrosion resistance while in storage. Thanks again.

Rick

Ran across this guy, https://www.youtube.com/@BuildFlyGo/videos two videos on the product and a live data stream on how its working here:https://io.adafruit.com/figgyb/dashboards/humidity1

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Anyone have any experience with, or know of anyone who has used the Drybot engine dehydrator, from RPX technologies, the same folks who give us the Dynavibe? I may get to the first start before the really cold weather sets in, but then it may well sit idle until spring. Pricey ($1195), but it is a 25K engine. Thanks in advance.

Rick