Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: S5 Manual Revisions

Default S5 Manual Revisions

Hi all. I recently picked up an S5 kit and am going through the manual to see if I have all of the revisions. The latest one is 'C' (Oct '95). Kitfox (current ownership) doesn't support the SkyStar documentation. Does anyone know how many there were for this model? I am going through all of bulletins, letters, etc. but haven't seen anything yet. I am the 4th owner and there was a gap between 1995 and 2004 (0wners 2 & 3). It is a solid kit and I'm looking forward to the build. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Default Re: S5 Manual Revisions

My 1998 Series 5 manual also has "C" as the last revision.

Rick

Larry,

Probably the best solution is to go with the existing manual and check the kitrfox service bulletins for all models starting with the S5. (the SBs are on the kitfox web site).

From the photo you included, it looks like you need to address the rudder pedal issue. it looks like the rudder pedal attachment to the torque tubes does not have the gusset. Critical item especially on a tailwheel (which can require higher control forces) since a rudder pedal breaking is something you don't want to have happen. A friend of mine had an S5 without the modification, sure as crap, it snapped off - for some reason unknown to most of us - the person in the other seat happened to be a pilot and that saved the day. This one is in the SBs and others have welded triangular gussets in place to solve the problem.

There are other things which may not be in an SB, like the seat shell on the earlier ones (likely yours also) did not come with the integral storage buckets. There are a few kerfuffles on the old ones where the seat shell broke and came to rest on the alieron control rod. Kitfox sells a tool bucket which can be retrofit on the old style seats; and, others have created a modification commonly known as a "butt block"

Do search the forum's archives as folks have contributed a lot of good ideas.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Another one that you might consider doing since it's not covered is adding the beefed up tail wheel pad and gussets. You're not going to find it any bulletin but definitely worth doing now rather than after after it breaks and your welding around fabric.

For an example of how the welded reinforcements were done on a Series 5, take a look at this post in my build thread.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks all for the input. I am all set with my manual. There were a handful of upgrades and options along with the current revisions that were mostly completed. All bulletins and letters added. Hopefully this week I will finish the parts inventory...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk