Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KT-76A Transponder Repair/Remanufacture

Default KT-76A Transponder Repair/Remanufacture

My old KT-76 Transponder is acting up and during my last flight the reply light stayed on for a usually long period of time. When I landed ATC informed they didn’t see me as I entered their airspace. I’d like to get a few more years of life from the transponder (and avoid the replacement expense), so I am looking for recommendations for an avionics shop that will repair/remanufacture the old KT-76A transponders. Unfortunately most of the shops I have checked around Las Vegas seem reluctant to work on this old model (mine is 25+ years old) and are more interested in selling me a new replacement transponder.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Default Re: KT-76A Transponder Repair/Remanufacture

It's not worth repairing. If you find a shop to repair it you will be shocked at the cost. If you are not ready to buy a new transponder look for a used KT-76 with a yellow tag, which will probably cost you far less than repairing the one you have. It looks like used ones can be found for a $200-400.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

One place to shop for used stuff is Wentworth Aircraft - here is their avionics website (they also have a general aircraft parts & engines site/shop)

https://www.wentworthaircraft.com/avionics/

There is a lot of perfectly good used stuff that people pull out of their airplanes to get the latest and greatest stuff - Wentworth has a lot of that plus stuff removed from damaged aircraft.

The best part of dealing with them is their used parts are 100% guaranteed and they will replace if a part doesn't work out.

One of my pals recently purchased a 2022 912ULS with 6 hours on it from them for $10,000. I have purchased several instruments from them and the one that didn't work out was immediately and happily replaced with a good one.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Gents, Thanks the info. It looks like repair isn’t feasible, but the serviceable used device market is a viable alternative. I ordered one from Wentworth today.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV