Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How to increase GVW?

Default How to increase GVW?

So…. I have been looking at multiple kitfox and avid aircraft and have researched what I would like to have but the cost at the kitfox 5 and above is pretty much out of my reach in a lump sum. But I have found plenty of kitfox 4s that are affordable but then I am struggling with the GVW for what I would like to do (Apex, full fuel, a lift gear, me and my dad, both 200 lbs). Not trying to toot my own horn, but I’m pretty handy and am able to figure out and build about anything, so the question is, if you have a fresh not started kitfox 4 kit, what needs to be welded in, beefed up, engineered, to increase the GVW? Is it possible/feasible for a guy who can do it himself?

Default Re: How to increase GVW?

If you want to go above the 1250 lbs it is already engineered for, you better be a lot more than handy in building things. You will need aeronautical engineering knowledge (yes, it can be self taught if you are really diligent). Maybe if you are lucky, there may be someone on this forum with the knowledge and ability who has already successfully upgraded a model 4 to something close to 1500 lbs and can advise you, but I am not aware of anyone. My own gut opinion is that even if it were properly done, the changes/modifications to the model 4 would be so numerous that you would end up spending more money than if you just go out and buy a later model kit which is already factory engineered for 1550 lbs. Just adding stiffeners and reinforcements all over the place is not really an option due to the added weight will negate most of your original purpose of adding useable weight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: How to increase GVW?

What Jim said.