Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel tank placement facilitating rib stiching

Default Fuel tank placement facilitating rib stiching

Need some insight from those been down this road before.
    I was about to bond the fuel tanks on my STi. It occurred to me that I need to leave room between the #3 rib capstrip and the edge of the fuel tank to allow rib stitching of the #3 rib. That however decreases the distance between rib 1 and the header tank vent line making for a tight turn of the vent line.
    Question is.....Is rib number three stitched? When doing the fabric?
    Trimming the edge of the fuel tank is a option. But would like to avoid that of course.
    Another option is to trim a little of rib 3 and run the vent line between rib 1 and the transition rib 1a.
    Interested in your solutions....thanks

Default Re: Fuel tank placement facilitating rib stiching

Problem solved...courtesy of John at KF.

Quote Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
    Problem solved...courtesy of John at KF.
    What was the solution? Trying to sort that out on my build this weekend…

Hey guys,
    I am at the same step with my STi wing. About to bond in my fuel tanks and install the vent line for the Rt tank but it's a pretty tight bend. The instructions in the manual aren't clear at all where the vent line will run to either. I emailed Brandon at KitFox last night but would love to know what the solution was for Rib Stitch concerns for Rib Capstrip#3 and how and where you ran the Vent line.
    Also, apparently I didn't purchase the banjo bolt upgrade for the fuel line. anyone have concerns or reservations about simply using the supplied L shaped fittings, or are there specs you can recommend to buy a banjo bolt locally?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Hey sorry can’t help you on the rib stitching, didn’t do it….But I would highly recommend the banjo fittings. We have two sti’s and both left fuel tank fittings start leaking after a couple months. Had to go back in and retrofit them with the banjo fittings. I know you can source them locally, but I think I would just send heather an email and she will have you some coming shortly.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Regarding rib stitching the #3 rib, Don't fill in the gap between the tank edge and the #3 rib cap with Hysol, leave it open. Instead use small wood blocks Hysoled between the side of the tank and the web of the #3 rib in about 4 places to stabilize the tank. These won't interfere with the rib stitching.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey sorry guys I have not visited the thread in awhile.
    So my concern with the tank placement was that the return line had a very sharp turn
    Because it is up against the rib. I talked with the folks at.the factory and they
    Said one easy solution was simply cutting one barb off the fuel return fitting. Your left with three barbs.
    That's what I did and there is plenty of fitting left to secure the return line and ease.the bend.
    It's brass and is easy to cut. Just smooth the edge and polish a bit.
    Hope.that helps..