Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lower Cowling Question

Default Lower Cowling Question

Went out today to start getting the plane ready to weigh. My cowlings have all been fit to the aircraft before. Went to put the lower cowling on and it doesn't want to go on. Three bladed prop and the cowling hits the prop blades before it slides up and in. Have tried rocking the prop from side to side to get one side in first and then the other. Have tried the prop oriented single blade up and single blade down. With the single blade up, the one side will slide up but the other side gets cocked back some and won't go past the blade. At least it wouldn't go but I didn't try brute force. Single blade down it just hits but again - haven't tried bending/brute force. I have fit the cowling on before but the prop wasn't attached without issue. So my question are you removing the prop to put the cowling on? There's another secret squirrel trick that gets the cowling on?

Appreciate any inputs/suggestions. Really don't want to remove the prop after finally getting it balanced but I do have it marked so that if I do remove it, I can put it back together the same way.

Thanks

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Lower Cowling Question

I haven't had any problems getting mine on and off. I did build my cowls with the spinner backplate in place but I assume you did too. Is your muffler hole the reason it can't slide back and forth to go on?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I haven't had any problems getting mine on and off. I did build my cowls with the spinner backplate in place but I assume you did too. Is your muffler hole the reason it can't slide back and forth to go on?
    Did you have the exhaust pipe on when you put the cowling on and then attach that after? Looking for wiggle room!!
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Did you have the exhaust pipe on when you put the cowling on and then attach that after? Looking for wiggle room!!
    I did have the exhaust on before I finished my cowl and after I ran it I had to enlarge the hole to 3/4 inch clearance on the inside of the hole because the pipe hit the cowl when starting/running. The motor moves a lot.

I'm still trying to figure why yours won't go on. You sure don't want to take the prop off every time.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

I have to push/bend slightly with my thumb one side of the lower cowl to get it past the prop blade (with one blade up, but not quite straight up). Its not brute force, just a firm push.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I have to push/bend slightly with my thumb one side of the lower cowl to get it past the prop blade (with one blade up, but not quite straight up). Its not brute force, just a firm push.
    Thanks Jim. Think getting one side past one blade and then rotating the prop a bit to clear the other side is the next thing to try.

Appreciate the input.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Gary,

FWIW, My experience is identical to Jim's. There is a lot of flexibility in the fiberglass so no real problem. I have the "training wheel" in front and that requires a little bit of additional diddling around.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Im doing the same as Jim. I have scratched paint on my cowl from dealing with this. If I were doing this over, I wish I would not have made my spacing between the prop flange and the cowl so tight. I also have to swing the blade some after getting it close. My exhaust stinger got a bit of an adjustment from the original install as well. I think I have a few degree offset to the rear on it now. Make the pass through hole as big as Kitfox suggests. I quickly learned that the engine moves a lot as previously noted.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Im doing the same as Jim. I have scratched paint on my cowl from dealing with this. If I were doing this over, I wish I would not have made my spacing between the prop flange and the cowl so tight. I also have to swing the blade some after getting it close. My exhaust stinger got a bit of an adjustment from the original install as well. I think I have a few degree offset to the rear on it now. Make the pass through hole as big as Kitfox suggests. I quickly learned that the engine moves a lot as previously noted.
    Thanks all. I appreciate the input and am sneaking up on it. Appears my exhaust is going to take a little adjustment and need to trim about a quarter inch off my flaps that i used to close off my naca duct. Hair too much overlap over the radiators and it keeps my intake on the side from getting clear of the valve covers on the engine. Little trim, little prop swing, little exhaust adjustment and I think I'll be in there.

Thanks all for the insights.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Kitfox STi N68SG