Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Windshield Forward and Aft Position

Default Windshield Forward and Aft Position

I have trimmed the windshield around the forward carry through tube only enough so as I can mark and trim for the forward vertical angles, but I am unsure were the forward and aft position of the windshield should be, at the moment I have trimmed enough so as the aft portion of the windshield is in line with the rear of the carry though angle, the manual says to trim the aft edge of the windshield to match the angle, My question is what is the correct position for and aft do I need to trim more around the carry through tubes and then trim the rear of the windshield as there is quite a gap were the aft corners bend up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Windshield Forward and Aft Position

I didn't have to trim the rear of my windshield. It was flush and the front angle was trimmed to match the boot cowl and the up right mounts.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Default Re: Windshield Forward and Aft Position

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    I have trimmed the windshield around the forward carry through tube only enough so as I can mark and trim for the forward vertical angles, but I am unsure were the forward and aft position of the windshield should be, at the moment I have trimmed enough so as the aft portion of the windshield is in line with the rear of the carry though angle, the manual says to trim the aft edge of the windshield to match the angle, My question is what is the correct position for and aft do I need to trim more around the carry through tubes and then trim the rear of the windshield as there is quite a gap were the aft corners bend up?

This caused a lot of questions for me as well. The windscreen is an expensive part to be carving on!
    I had to trim a lot to get the fit right. Place your boot cowl on to see how the fit is to the windscreen and it's sitting on the butt ribs nicely. There is a sweet spot where it all matches up and looks good. This is where you want to be. I trimmed around the tubes just enough to get a good fit everywhere else. After it all looked correct, I had to trim and polish carefully around the carry through tubes even more, as it's a high stress area prone to cracking.
    The aft corners do have a gap and it's normal. Just make sure everything else is correct and you'll be fine.

Take care and keep up the great work!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint