Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine mount kitfox 2 - Information needed Please

Default Engine mount kitfox 2 - Information needed Please

I am restoring a Kitfox 2 with the alternate side bracket engine mounts. I cannot seem to find any information about the installation. I am wanting to replace the Lord mounts but I do not know the manufacture part number used for replacement. Also I am questioning the washer used in the current application. I'm thinking it is unusually large for the application. I suspect is interferes with the securing bolts.

If anyone still has the information for this installation and part numbers for replacement lord mounts, I would much appreciate it.

I attached the current installation it has.

Avmech
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Engine mount kitfox 2 - Information needed Please

The mounts are part no. H6140. Available here: https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...t-diamond.html
    Note that they need to to have the inner bushing bored out for a clearance fit with the bolts - sometimes not an easy task to accomplish. I've ruined some in my attempts.

The large washer is correct as shown. It is there in case the rubber mount fails.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thank you Av8r_Sed... can't find a lot of information about a lot of things. I ordered some new lord mounts. I'm believe I will create a notch on the washer, it seems to be hitting the mount bolts at times. Also the lord mount attach bolts are hitting the engine mount lower support arm occasionally when the engine really shakes, you can see impact points. Hopefully new rubbers will be a little more stiff.

Avmech

The new mounts may indeed help. Many things can cause shaking. What prop are you using? If it has a high mass moment of inertia it may be making matters worse. Also, 2-strokes are very sensitive to their carb settings. Share some more information if you find the new mounts don't resolve the issue for you.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I checked all the carb settings. Slides are spot on. I have the GSC prop that was originally shipped with the kit. I'm sure that a different prop would be better. As a lot of people have said, it smooths out at a little higher rpm above idle. I've got it adjusted to about 2200rpm. I think there is more rattling and metal to metal contact noise that is concerning me.. The two areas I think this is occurring is 1. The muffler and 2. The washer on the engine mount. The muffler is contacting the engine mount aft vertical struts. I can't seem to orient the springs to prevent it. As far as the engine mount goes, I will need to re-orient the hardware and trim the large washer slightly to prevent interference with the mounting bolts.

I saw some pictures of your muffler installation on avidfoxflyers. It's really nice ! The polishing job is over the top (stainless steel maybe?). I have the same configuration, just not as nice, crummy nitrided. Do you have any close up pictures how you oriented your springs?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Note that the GSC wood blades supposedly have a 5 year time limit. Yours might be a tad older? I think GSC is still in business somewhere in Canada. Regardless, that prop is not heavy and shouldn't cause much vibration on it's own.

My exhaust is ceramic coated. It looked pretty nice until I baked on a good dose of gear oil - now, not nice at all.

I'll see if I have any more pics of the exhaust support springs
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Anyone out there that would part with the original Model II engine mount ? I'm not really wild about the rail type Model III mount. Needs the tube for camloc attachment of cowling.

Avmech

I have a Kitfox 2 mount I will part with. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I have a Kitfox 2 mount I will part with. JImChuk
    I should have reread your whole post before I commented. Looks like my mount is the same as yours. It was on the Kitfox 2 project I got. Perhaps original mount was replaced at some point. Oh well, someone else might see it and want it. JImChuk

I have one i may part with but it has the round cowl parts with it also. Been thinking about selling off all my KF1-3 parts and sellin my flying Kitfox also. Ive got enough parts to build another KF1 and still have some parts left