Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not scared of fabric anymore, progress.

Default Not scared of fabric anymore, progress.

Two weeks ago I put the project up for sale, when it came to covering I was worried about doing it myself having no experience. That being said it’s a lot easier than expected. For those of you considering Oratex a few suggestions. First start a fire or turn the heat up to 100 it will make the fabric considerably more playable second you can pull and yank on it as hard as you can it won’t break or rip that I have found so far to get the wrinkles out. Just like the old Detroits slam you hand in the door before working with the fabric. I am using cub yellow it is translucent and dull in luster. Hindsight I would not follow manual and start with rudder or smallest part I would recommend starting with the piece that doesn’t have any tight radius bends for example the belly or the wings. Did a test yesterday using scraps and gluing to a dummy rib I can not pull it off of the wood. After that test I’m considering not rib stiching but on the fence at this point in time. If considering oratex you will want the straight edge tape I purchased pinked the reason you still apply two coats of glue underneath the tape and the glue is visible im between the triangles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Not scared of fabric anymore, progress.

I agree that starting on a tail surface is a terrible beginning. I know because that's what I did.
    Better Aircraft Fabrics will also tell you to save those for last, because you'll be able to use scraps remaining from doing
    wings and fuselage. You'll also need that experience of pulling and stretching to get the wrinkles out.

Straight edge tapes are the way to go, but who told you to use adhesive under the finish tapes? They have their own adhesive
    and the beauty of the tape is that it sticks/unsticks at a lower temperature, so it can be removed and replaced.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

The wings will be a breeze for you now you have the harder part done.
    No need for glue under the finish tapes, they come pre glued.
    I always tell people if they feel they need to rib stitch by all means do it.
    I did several tests then had a screw up where I had to take the oratex off and decided that the glue is super strong so I didn't stitch.
    This is my first fabric plane and I still check fabric before every flight!
    One really nice thing about oratex not being painted is you can rib stitch later if need be and you can add inspection panels anytime also.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Wow you guys I really screwed up page 46 says do not put adhesive under finishing tape. Thankfully it’s only on the bottom so be kind of hidden. Still planning on using a thin application for seam transition as described on page 28. Regarding not rib stiching my plan so far is to glue a rib cap piece on using some scraps then glue the fabric to that. Thinking it might make getting fabric pulled tight a little easier. How did you do it?

Ok ive done 3 airplanes in Oratex, the last one i just did is a certified pa12 i rebuilt from ground up. And yes i have been to their 3 day install classes about 5-6yrs ago.

1, bad idea NOT sewing ur wings!!! Sew them they will give u problems down the road. Sorry but dont b lazy sewing is easy.

2, u can put glue under the finish tapes on ur wing we will say, stay 1/8” away from ur edge width of tape or it will bleed out when heated and show a glue line that will look ugly, the glue will turn yellowish with some age, very bad on white u can clean it off but best to do b4 u apply heat. But its mainly there to help the transition between the two edges, and to soak the non waxed sew thread so the finish tapes stick and u can work all the air out from under it.

3, do u have the factory install book? Or the Better Aircraft Fabric tips and tricks book?

4, final shrink ur fabric at 480degrees and take ur time, and work ur finish tapes from center line to the edge, and i like the pinked edge tapes but u have to work them with a hobby iron not the iron they sell u.

5, make sure ur heat gun and iron r computer controled heat setting, cheap ones cant keep the temp constant and ur glue wont melt correctly.
    there is lots more info to know and learn and remember Oratex will strech and shrink so the dorsal fin area is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post

Straight edge tapes are the way to go, but who told you to use adhesive under the finish tapes? They have their own adhesive
    and the beauty of the tape is that it sticks/unsticks at a lower temperature, so it can be removed and replaced.
    Better Aircraft & Lars told me. It was highly recommended when I was covering in 2016 -17.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by klamath101 View Post
    Wow you guys I really screwed up page 46 says do not put adhesive under finishing tape. Thankfully it’s only on the bottom so be kind of hidden. Still planning on using a thin application for seam transition as described on page 28. Regarding not rib stiching my plan so far is to glue a rib cap piece on using some scraps then glue the fabric to that. Thinking it might make getting fabric pulled tight a little easier. How did you do it?
    You didn't screw up. You can put glue under the finishing tape but you don't have to. I agree with the other statement someone made that if you do hold back a bit from the edge.
    I did the same as you on the first I put on and have a few glue squeezing's showing. Haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne

Just finished going through the manual again what spacing and what knot does everybody suggest for rib stitches? Planning on attacking a wing tomorrow now that fall is here and it’s getting cool at night. Was planning on using a vinal sticker cut out with the cub lightning bolt for decals, has anybody tried it?

I don't know this for sure, but if you omit rib stitching you might have the first Kitfox covered with Oratex without rib stitching.

The rib stitching itself actually is super easy. Watch the videos online for how to tie the knots. It is really repetitive. I think I took a few days doing it, but the work was easy.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Here is a little of my vinyl work. Really easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjdrw7YY3Fo
    Harlan and Susan Payne