Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Kitfox 4 912 muffler

Default New Kitfox 4 912 muffler

A couple of months ago, my muffler cracked again where the tailpipe comes out of the muffler. I talked to Kitfox, and they gave me the number to Experimental Aircraft Exhaust in Lake City, Mn. I ordered one, and never heard another word till two days ago. I had kind of forgot about it, as I had got mine welded back up with some braces to the tail pipe and it's been fine since. Anyway, they said it was ready to ship. It showed up yesterday, and here it is. Base cost was $750, at my door with sales tax and shipping was $839. Anyway, it looks good, it's made to fit the standard Kitfox motor mount style for the model 3 and 4 that uses the four arms to bolt to the engine. I do wish I had made them put a brace between the tailpipe and the muffler though. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New Kitfox 4 912 muffler

Just a thought
    Having struggled with various 912 muffler issues, mostly broken stinger welds. We got serious and pulled some apart.
    The kitfox had remnants of an internal support. We rebuild them now with a full length perforated pipe that is supported at the far end by a slip joint to allow for different expansion rates. I assume this is the current way the mufflers are built? 500+ hrs on mine no problems

That slip joint sounds like a good idea. Actually building these mufflers should be fairly easy if one can weld the stainless. Especially if you had one to copy. Hardest part would be getting the inlet pipes in the right place and at the right angle. Wouldn't be that hard to make a jig that would located the holes if you already have a muffler to copy. JImChuk

Do they have the measurements for the Kitfox exhaust system, pipes and muffler?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spook712 View Post
    Do they have the measurements for the Kitfox exhaust system, pipes and muffler?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

If that question was addressed to me and in regard to Experimental aircraft exhaust company, yes they had all the measurements for the muffler. Not sure on the pipes. Here is a link to their website. JImChuk
    Experimental Aircraft Exhaust Systems and Aircraft Exhaust Components (experimentalexhaust.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Just a thought
    Having struggled with various 912 muffler issues, mostly broken stinger welds. We got serious and pulled some apart.
    The kitfox had remnants of an internal support. We rebuild them now with a full length perforated pipe that is supported at the far end by a slip joint to allow for different expansion rates. I assume this is the current way the mufflers are built? 500+ hrs on mine no problems
    I have had two of the "internal slip joint" mufflers fail. The first on my 912UL powered 4-1050, the second on the Mangy Fox. I have the second on my bench waiting to be disassembled for autopsy and possible rebuild.

I still believe the failure point in the design is the sleeve joints from the muffler to the header pipes not allowing for any movement. Every other system I have seen have utilized ball and socket type joints.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 10-03-2023 at 06:06 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos