Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build Logs

Default Build Logs

Question about build logs. I've started building my STi and I haven't really established a formal build log per se. I'm still in the early phase, I'm installing the flight controls and have completed the lions share of the airframe reaming. Just how detailed do these logs need to be? The Kitfox build manual as you all know has a sign off block for each section or task, why would this not suffice in lieu of a separate log that virtually duplicates the exact same thing? I'm going to be talking with the gentleman this week who will probably be the DAR for my aircraft so I suppose he can give further guidance. What has been your experiences on this? Speaking of DAR's, I'm curious as to what to expect as far as cost for them to issue the special airworthiness certificates once the aircraft is completed.

Default Re: Build Logs

Owyhee,

People take several different paths, but, as long as the info the FAA wants is presented, it all works. Some like electronic records. Some use the Build manual. FWIW - both my DAR and EAA tech counselors were very complimentary about the manual Kitfox supplies with the kit- said it was better than most!

I chose to sign off on the sections of the build manual; and added notes to the pages where additional info was useful. Also kept a chronological spiral notebook of my activities and took lots of pictures during the build - My DAR was good with that and the FAA MIDO were happy with the documentation in support of my repairman's certificate application. I did find out they like seeing photos that included the builder working on the plane to support who the bulder was.

I think it is good to have a conversation with your MIDO and DAR from the start as this shows initiative on your part and certainly helps with understanding their expectations. Don't know if all offices do it; but at the time, our MIDO had an inch thick packet incuding just about everything a person would need to know plus all the forms, applicable ACs for building and testing an EAB.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I just signed the build manual for logs and took pictures along with it as many here had done. They hardly looked at anything when I went to get my repairman's certificate.
    Dar pricing is all over the place. 1000 seems to be what many have to pay. When the time comes your dar will tell you what paper work he wants.
    Enjoy your build.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I'll be discussing this with the DAR here in the next couple of days so that should clear up my questions. I was just curious to what others had experienced on this subject. I won't be going for a repairman's certificate since I hold an A&P so perhaps the burden of proof won't be quite as stringent but I'll find out, again thanks for the insight!

I could be wrong here, but I think the repairman's cert is still worth getting since it is obtained at practically no cost or effort. Since you are an A&P you don't need it to do any work (as an experimental you don't even need to be an A&P to work on it), but I don't believe you can sign off the annual condition inspection without an IA or the repairman's cert for your airplane. Like I said, please someone correct me if I am off base here.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

An A&P can sign a condition inspection, you don't need to be an IA. Since Owyhee Fox is an A&P he doesn't need the repairman's certificate. FYI when is sign my inspections I don't write "IA" after my A&P certificate #, it isn't needed.

Nevertheless, it is still prudent to document the build with logs and pictures. You never know what your DAR is going to want to see as proof that you built it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil for clearing that up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

As an aside but related to this question - and it may just be me BUT . . . . there is a value to lots of build pictures. Not for the DAR necessarily but for little ol me. I am surprised at how often I return to the photos to find out how I did something or how questions related to items hidden from sight (without removing panels) are answered by the photos.

You make a good point, I plan on taking plenty of pictures for just that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    As an aside but related to this question - and it may just be me BUT . . . . there is a value to lots of build pictures. Not for the DAR necessarily but for little ol me. I am surprised at how often I return to the photos to find out how I did something or how questions related to items hidden from sight (without removing panels) are answered by the photos.
    DW,

Very good point about a build photo collection helping with later maintenance. Guess I wasn't thinking about that at the time of the build; however, I had the same revelation you did when wrenching later.

In a similar vein, I recall my DAR, after issuing the AW certificate, suggested that it is a good idea, although not required, to assemble an equipment list composed of all of the manufacturer's and vendors documentation for parts, appliances, radios, lights, etc, for anything not included in the kit build manual. Ended up with a 3 ring binder about 1 1/2" thick that actually ended up being a great time saver when needing to find replacement parts or specific instructions for use/setup ets.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN