Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 8" kitfox wheels on 1 1/4" axels

Default 8" kitfox wheels on 1 1/4" axels

Hi all, recently I got a Kitfox built cabane style landing gear. It has the 1 1/4" aluminum axels. I could buy the 3/4" axels from grove and then my regular kitfox hubs and 8" wheels would work. A while back I saw someone with 3/4" axels on their kitfox break an axel, and it wasn't good. So I got to thinking, why not build hubs that can use 1 1/4" bearings so I can use the larger axels I have. I also didn't want to go buy expensive 6" wheels that fit the larger axels as well. I bought two pieces of 4" long 3" OD, 2" ID aluminum tube and some 4" x 1/2 thick aluminum cutoffs. So far, about $45 invested. Had some fun on the lathe, and now I'll take them to the welder, true them up on the lathe, press in the bearings, and drill the bolt holes for the wheel bolts. They should then be ready to go. Think it will work? JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 8" kitfox wheels on 1 1/4" axels

Took a while to get the hubs back from the welder, but I got them yesterday. Trued them up on the lathe, pressed in the bearings, drilled the wheel bolt holes, and I'm ready to go. The dirty looking hub is a factory Kitfox wheel hub for 3/4" axel. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great. I've got the Grove spring gear with 3/4" axels and the Kitfox 8" rims. Also have an old Enco lathe and milling machine I've yet to set up so could use this project as motivation to re-do my work area.

Question: About the bearings you used, are they rated for a thrust load? What is the bearing make and number?

I would like to use the same setup. Have a pair of Kitfox wheel pants of the same size that fit over the 18x9.50x8 trailer tires on the KF-3. If nothing else pants keep the wings a lot cleaner. Carlisle has a smooth tire the same size that would be much less grippy on grass (allow some side slip), rounded shoulders and uses a compound that is very wear resistant. 4-ply, rated for over 1000 lbs, sells for ~$70 which is really cheap compared to any other option esp. since it is tubeless. #5109811

Another advantage of your setup is not having to cut a hole in the grease cap to pass the support for the wheel pants.

Also have a 2nd pair wheels, 6" Matco also for 3/4" axels. I got them for cheap because 1 axel was bent. Also got a new pair of axels that fit these 6" wheels dirt cheap on Ebay. Kind of an odd set I suppose. But the point is the weak point is just where the axels neck down to 3/4". These are all Matco so should be properly heat treated. But since the Grove gear is very strong these would fail 1st.

Mark Napier
    Building a KF IV Classic

Good point on the thrust load. Perhaps one could use tapered bearings instead. Would need to make room for seals then as well along side the bearings. Thanks for the comment. If you want, I can send you the ebay sellers I got the precut parts from. JImChuk