Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Garmin G3X Reboot in flight

Default Garmin G3X Reboot in flight

Thought I would share an experience for those who have had this issue..

A month ago, with my Kitfox at 45 hours, I was flying with another pilot when the G3X display rebooted in flight. It was not hot out, the plane had only been flying for about 20 mins. No indications showed any problems with any systems. Everything worked fine. I went on a crusade looking for a loose power lead or ground. Nothing found, I searched around online only finding small one-off examples of high time G3X's rebooting in flight.

Luckily for me Oshkosh was the next week so I went and talked to the Garmin experts. They took this issue very seriously when I brought it up and actually had me bring in the logs the next day. After a quick review, they said that the software 9.13 in the G3X was the cause of the reboot and that I needed to update to 9.22

I talked to some other pilots at Oshkosh who have also experienced recent reboots in flight, so if you have reached this forum, update your software!

You can also see if the shutdown(s) by going to Main Menu/Diagnosis/Shutdowns. If there is a shutdown there, the G3X team says to copy it to an SD card (Click menu, copy to SD card) and email it to them.

Hopefully this helps anyone reading this. Shoutout to the G3X team and the prompt support!
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson

Default Re: Garmin G3X Reboot in flight

I had this happen to me on our way back from OSH in 2021. I was using the touch screen when the screen just froze. It didn't do anything for about 60 sec.. It just shut down and rebooted by itself. I just figured I had overloaded its brain with all the touching I was doing. Never had another incident and I have since updated.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X