Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Idea for new suspension system

Default Idea for new suspension system

I have a lot of ideas for upgrades and this was one of them.

As we know the traditional cabane bungee gear works in tension and most of the shocks nowadays are compression style (with the exception of the ACMEs). This design was drawn for my model 1 (meaning narrower than most other kitfoxes).

Just to give an idea of scale the tires are Desser 8.5's, the shocks are Fox 2.0" diameter with a 4" stroke. The pic on the left shows the gear unloaded with the wheels about 4" below where the axels would be parallel with the ground. The right screenshot shows the gear deflected 16" up from the unloaded position. Moving the green arm in or out changes the vertical travel.

I am not an engineer and have not run numbers to see if this would work but the geometry does work. Obviously the seat truss and other attachment points would have to be beefed up as needed. It has the advantage of keeping the shock up higher out of harms way.

I'm not going to do anything with the idea but I figured someone who likes experimenting might try it. Better than it hiding in my computer forever.
    Attached Images Attached Images