Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kitfox iv 1050 storage and upgrades

Default kitfox iv 1050 storage and upgrades

hi all.
    ive been luring the forums for some time now as i have been getting my model iv in the air!

so far im loving it and i have a short list of mods im working on. im figuring out that i dont love the bungee gear and im thinking of going grove type or something fancy / cabane style. closing the gaps up on the elevator, and ill probabaly extend the elevator this winter. cant find anything wrong with my wood prop on my 912ul so im gonna keep running that...

one of the things im stuck on is that i am missing the original baggage sock. im not the type to sew one up. so im looking for any insight as to how i can get my hands on measurments or even what the original looked like so that i can maybe find someone to recreate it. im not trying to add weight so i think building out the area behind the seat is out of the runing.

has anyone done anything that looks good and works ?

anyone have a sock they want to sell ?

what is the difference between a 1050 sock and a 1200 sock that would make the 1200 not work in the 1050 model iv ?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Default Re: kitfox iv 1050 storage and upgrades

Just looked in the Kitfox parts section, and on page 9 they have the baggage sack for 3 and 4 models. $350... Nothing is cheap when it comes to aviation. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Just looked in the Kitfox parts section, and on page 9 they have the baggage sack for 3 and 4 models. $350... Nothing is cheap when it comes to aviation. JImChuk
    i went to order....debra emailed me back:

they only offer the model 4 1200 and that doesnt work with the 1050.

Wonder what the reason is? I don't think there is a difference in the fuselages in that area. Maybe something to do with gross weight??? JImChuk

Wonder what the reason is? I don't think there is a difference in the fuselages in that area. Maybe something to do with gross weight??? JImChuk
    my understanding is limited because I have not looked at a 4 1200 and model 4 1050 side by side but I believe there’s an extra couple tubes in the 4 1050 in that area. Maybe someone can share some photos and I can make the decision if I want to modify the 4 1200 sock to work.

as I said before because of GW limits I don’t want to add unnecessary weight- I already have enough avionics in my panel and 27 gallons of fuel lol.

I find this kind of interesting for another reason. Many people have wondered if they could convert their 1050 GW Kitfox 4 to 1200 GW. Besides the taller vertical stabilizer and rudder, it's kind of hard to find info on what the differences are. If you want to post a picture of the area behind your seats, I can compare to my Kitfox 4 1200 and get some pictures as well. JImChuk

I find this kind of interesting for another reason. Many people have wondered if they could convert their 1050 GW Kitfox 4 to 1200 GW. Besides the taller vertical stabilizer and rudder, it's kind of hard to find info on what the differences are. If you want to post a picture of the area behind your seats, I can compare to my Kitfox 4 1200 and get some pictures as well. JImChuk
    i will certainly get some photos soon as i get back to hangar next week

from my understanding the model 4 1050 is essentially a 3 with new wing and control/mixer. everyone always asks about the gross weight , they expect the factory to say "yeah youll be fine" lol
    technically they could do whatever they want to the GW but i would prob stick with what the design intended unless i was going to recover and felt like modifying the fuselage. it just doesnt seem worth it to me. epecially when mosyt ops are solo how long do you want to sit in a kitfox for ? even at max gross i can still fit enough fuel for a good rip...

Consider just closing out the baggage space by applying fabric as you did the fuselage. I have seen S7 models done that way.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Classic 4, I think is the same as a 4 1200.

Front of baggage sack

Rear

Interior of sack

Access with seat upolstery

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

On mine have no baggage compartment there is a small maybe gallon and half aluminum header tank mounted directaly behind seat