Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dynon autopilot pitch servo installation in SS7?

Default Dynon autopilot pitch servo installation in SS7?

Hey folks, I've searched the forum, but I'm coming up empty.

Does anyone have details on where and how to mount the pitch servo for the Dynon autopilot? I've seen a couple of comments, but details are lacking. A couple of pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Darren

Default Re: Dynon autopilot pitch servo installation in SS7?

If you're talking a out a Series 7, Kitfox has a servo installation kit with fabricated and powder-coated brackets that do the job very nicely. They might even sell you individual part numbers from the kit if you ask nicely.

This is what I did for the pitch servo in my Series 5:

IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg

That's a length of 1-1/2" aluminum angle (Home Depot), held in place on the fuselage tubes with Adel clamps. The servo arm will connect via a rod-end bearing to a pushrod, which will grab the elevator push-pull tube via a large-diameter Adel clamp. The large black tube above the servo is the elevator push-pull; mine is painted.

Edited to add: Don't buy the installation kit unless you're building a Series 7. The S7 has fuselage tubes for mounting the brackets that are missing in earlier models. Ask me how I know...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I have the Kitfox ones and they are very nice, If you need better photos I can get you some. Also Dynon calls for a SV32 but don’t go lighter than a SV42 on the Pitch or it will slip like crazy and you will be upgrading. Dynon is awesome to work with though!
    67C49478-0E74-4AE2-8801-AA2B5D46CC11.jpg

4584926F-1890-4F6F-AC61-A5FC865FCCE9.jpg
    Here is the other side view. If you want better views I believe Bryan Bowen used the same ones in his Project Kitfox videos if I am remembering correctly. Hope this helps-

Not the best picture and it’s a Garmin servo but I located my pitch servo under the pilots right thigh. I have seen Dyson servos mounted in the same place.
    IMG_4829.jpg
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Thanks for the replies! I found the following YouTube video (starting at the 16 minute mark) which shows installation of the Garmin servos using the mount from Kitfox. Looks pretty straightforward, but need to see how difficult that is to add since mine has the fabric installed.