Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dont wrap your exhaust!

Default Re: Dont wrap your exhaust!

John look up what the max EGT on the 912is and 915 of and it may surprise you. Then ask operators what the normal temps they are seeing? Basically glowing bright red. (915is is 950C (1742F) Exhaust in the picture has never seen over 1450f. Edge improved the exhaust from the stock rotax. Rotax last 20 hours before developed exhaust leaks.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I recall reading that 304SS only has 20% of it's strength at 1400F. Seeing bent pipes makes me wonder if there was some sort of bending stress on the pipes that was more than they could withstand when they were hot.

As for wrap, I used it on a 912UL, but it never lasted more than about 15 hrs before starting to crumble.

Rusty

1610 is about the top egt, 1575 is normal for cruise in a 915is. Having egt gauges on most of our farm equipment, these 1600 degree numbers scare one when you first see them. 220 hours and no melt downs yet and everyone assures me this is normal for the i s engines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
    I recall reading that 304SS only has 20% of it's strength at 1400F. Seeing bent pipes makes me wonder if there was some sort of bending stress on the pipes that was more than they could withstand when they were hot.

As for wrap, I used it on a 912UL, but it never lasted more than about 15 hrs before starting to crumble.

Rusty
    That's probably right. 321 or 321H are better choices for exhaust systems. It is basically type 304 with the addition of titanium. 321H also has a higher Carbon content. Additional stresses are exactly what I was talking about, with the welded fitting right at the apex of the bend, slip joints, etc.

Justin... no it doesn't surprise me. With those kind of temperatures, maybe you should be using Inconel. It's only money.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime