Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Splitting pitot line to 2 gauges

Default Splitting pitot line to 2 gauges

Hello everyone. I just installed an AV-30 in my 7. I put a tee on the pitot tube and out to the av30 and my old analog airspeed indicator. At first the old airspeed gauge bounced a little, maybe trying to show 10mph. I replaced the tee with a new and different make and it read 35mph. Still nothing on the av30 but it doesn't start reading till 40. I removed the tee and hooked pitot directly to the av30 and it worked fine. I also had to split my static line. I used the same model of tee that I had installed at first. Altitude readings are perfect. Whats going on with my pitot? I should be able to split that, right?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Splitting pitot line to 2 gauges

Yes, all you should need to do is split the pitot and static lines and Y them into both instuments.

Without seeing the A/S indicator and plumbing it is hard to know what might be wrong. Hopefully you didn't over pressurize the line and damage the unit.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

No. Like I said the av30 work when you hook direct, and leave the other gauge disconnected.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken - from my reading of your issue I suspect a leak at the ASI fitting or internally. When you said the ASI read around 35, was that while you were pressuring the line or in flight?

Hi Darrel. That reading was in-flight. Both instruments work fine when individually hooked to the pitot tube. So the problem has to be a leaky tee fitting. I just find it odd that 2 different ones are leaking. A neighbor told me tonight to attach surgical tubing to the pitot tube and roll it up to increase the pressure. I'll try tomorrow.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken - I've use a syringe for the same purpose. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I have used a manometer to calibrate the ASI. It will also show you if you have a leak in the pitot line or fittings. Using a roll of 1/4" plastic tubing pushed onto the pitot tube, and having the other end blocked, and folding it up will increase the pressure by the small amounts of pressure needed. JImChuk

Troubleshot the problem/leak down to the push-to-connect on the back of the old analog gauge. That, combined with the different tube coming out of my tee, they just didn't get along together. So I put a new straight threaded push-to-connect and no more leak down. However, the analog reads about 3 mph faster than the digital. Not a huge deal, but is a discrepancy like this common?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

In my experience some difference is seen fairly frequently.

Is it a big deal? Well, maybe.

If you have a syringe, try running the pressure up slowly and see if the difference is the same, gets worse of if there is a cross over point somewhere between say 30 and 110. That and knowing your flying style will help with the answer.

Analog gauges can especially be inaccurate. The best way to have these tested is with a calibrated test box at an avionics shop.Glad you got your problem figured out.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016