Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 7 912 ULS in the AZ heat

Default Kitfox 7 912 ULS in the AZ heat

Hi Fox Fam. Went for an early morning flight to beat the heat. OAT was 90-92F. The Water temp creeped up to just under 240F. Like a needle below Redline. Cylinder temps were 180F as was the oil. All in the green however, I’d like to bring that water temp down a pinch. Question to the seasoned folks, what temps are you seeing at 90F 3000’ MSL and 24” Manifold settings? Or do I just need a bigger radiator?

Thanks all!
    -Scott
    Riverfox SS7 with Bunker Buster Cargo Pod

Default Re: Kitfox 7 912 ULS in the AZ heat

I am having a hard time with your temp numbers; cyl head temp on the later model 912's is actually coolant temp, and on earlier model it is still quite close to coolant temp. So how could you have 240 coolant and 180 cyl head temps? I think one or more of your temp sensors may be way off. If you have 2 cyl head sensors, as is standard, and they both agree I would be more inclined to believe them.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I am having a hard time with your temp numbers; cyl head temp on the later model 912's is actually coolant temp, and on earlier model it is still quite close to coolant temp. So how could you have 240 coolant and 180 cyl head temps? I think one or more of your temp sensors may be way off. If you have 2 cyl head sensors, as is standard, and they both agree I would be more inclined to believe them.

100% agree. Where are you measuring "coolant temperature"?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Excellent point. The aircraft is new to me so I'll trace down where the Water Temp is sourcing it's data from. Will report back. I'd feel way better if the Cylinders and coolant were 180F.

Here is a bit of a post by Roger Lee from the Rotax owners forum. 180 degree was redline on the Rotax 582 two stroke, but the 912 can run much higher. JImChuk

The 105C (221F) should be fine and is more accurate now with your new heads. What are your CHT's running? If you are using a 50-50 coolant mix then 248F should be the max temp.

The new kitfox 7 radiators come with a port that you can put a coolant temp in. I am guessing your temp sensor is reading wrong. Take a heat gun and measure the radiator right by the sensor after running and see what it is reading? Guessing your CHT's are correct and your coolant temp sensor has problems?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Scott,

Here is the authorative way to determine if you have the cylinder head temp or coolant temp version on your engine. Rotax has a running list of engine modifications. Easy peasy visual of the cylinder heads.

There is a photo/drawing of each version on page 7 of the PDF below.

https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_...si-912-020.pdf

The new version cylinder heads started with engine serial number 6781410; however, an older engine could have had new version cylinder heads installed as service items so the engine SN may or may not apply. Best bet is the info in the service instruction above with the photos/drawings.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Pulled the Cowl, turns out I have the old heads with the temp probe on the bottom. This reads CHT as I understand it. I also have a Water Temp Probe in one of the water hoses. I'm planning to pull that probe and test for accuracy. But wanted to follow up that I have Both CHT and Water temp.

Thank you all for guidance.
    -Scott